NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my diverter valve is bad from my recent trip to the dealer. It was sticking and not building boost. The tech tapped the side of it with a screw driver and freed it up and has been working ever since. I know these valves go bad in a short time and my is the original valve on a 2000 1.8T. I want to replace the valve with an up-grade or one of these nice billet pieces I see. Who has the best valve out there and can I use one of the valaves that bumps the boost into the atmoshere rather then using one of the closed system valves with a 2000? I know this is juvenile at 45 years old, but I really like the "Woowsh" sound an open valve makes.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
You could try this..

Forge Splitter

It's a hybrid between the DV and a BOV. A friend of mine had one on his mazdaspeed3 and it sounded pretty cool. I think a few other people on here have one and haven't had any issues with it.

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
I changed over to a Dahlback Racing diverter 3 years ago, and haven't looked back. Nothing in it to break, just an occasional cleaning and relube. Works great.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info! I almost bought the forge splitter yesterday, glad I didnt as I has a stock system! I guess I will look at the regular Forge DV, anyone have a used one they want to part with? I also heard the regular Forge valve has a nice sound if you use an aftermarket cold air kit, any do's or dont's there???

Thanks for everyones time and help! I build and play with supercharged Mustangs, it is amazing how different the two cars are and the terminology is! Thanks again!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I just bought the forge 007 and installed it yesterday. Throttle response is better. The sound isn't too different from stock, maybe a hair louder or higher pitched (although that could be my imagination). My main reason for picking one up was because of my plans to chip my car in the near future. It's mainly a preventative piece, as stock ones can't hold much more boost. There really aren't any gains other than better throttle response. That said, I don't mind the $170 for piece of mind (And it looks better) :p

I've heard they really come to life with a short ram intake, I'm starting to look into making one myself to see.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Great info! I almost bought the forge splitter yesterday, glad I didnt as I has a stock system! I guess I will look at the regular Forge DV, anyone have a used one they want to part with? I also heard the regular Forge valve has a nice sound if you use an aftermarket cold air kit, any do's or dont's there???
Oh, and you can use a splitter on a stock car. That's what I meant when I said other people on here have used them with no problems. You'll still run a little rich between shifts, but I don't think it is enough to cause any problems unlike a regular BOV.

IMO, CAI's aren't worth it for the price on these cars. If you do a search, there's a ton of threads on here about the pros and cons of CAI's vs SRI's vs stock airbox.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I am using the Forge Splitter Valve and it is an excellent valve. You just need to know how to adjust it. From the factory it is totally set up wrong. Just turn it all the way counterclockwise and then turn it in about 7 to 8 clicks clockwise. Perfect position for most applications with up to 22 psi boost. Of course you can experiment with it and find your personal sweet spot. I vents less than 10% to athmosphere so there is no danger of running rich or lean. You will get the wooshing sound which after a while drove me nuts but luckily it comes with a block off plate and you can choose to run it with it venting or you can block it off and run it as a regular diverter valve which I am doing. It's a great valve and I recommend it highly especially if you want that wooshing sound which gets old after a while.

You could try this..

Forge Splitter

It's a hybrid between the DV and a BOV. A friend of mine had one on his mazdaspeed3 and it sounded pretty cool. I think a few other people on here have one and haven't had any issues with it.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The Forge P007 is a nice piece. I started out with that one and it was a great valve. Just be sure you are using the right spring. Most people think stiffer is better but it really isn't. You are suppose to run the softest spring that still holds boost. For most applications in our category is the green spring. Even with chipped or tuned cars. The yellow is overkill for our mild Turbos even chipped. My car is Revo Tuned and I tried the Yellow and then went back to the Green. The performance was a lot better with the Green valve.
You can also try the Green Valve with 1 or 2 shims in order to fine tune the valve. I got tired of messing with it and taking the valve apart to adjust it. That's why I like the Splitter valve. Not because of the annoying wooshing sound but because of the easy adjustability. You can adjust the valve without taking it off the car. Just turn it one or two clicks in either direction and see how it feels. Pretty easy.
As far as short air intakes goes. I made my own with a Spectre Silicone fitting and an AEM Dryflow funnel intake which has proven effective as far as higher airflow goes.
Of course there is that argument of it just sucking in hot air which in our case really doesn't stand up. The air is flows from the Intake into the Turbo where it is compressed. That compression process runs of your exhaust gasses and heats up the air a lot more than what is incomming through the intake. Then it is shot through the hoses going into the small intercooler where it is suppose to cool down a bit before entering the manifold and combustion chamber. No, a short ram air cleaner won't give you much of a performance boost but it will do two things. It will make your engine sound a little better (not much louder but there is a difference in sound) which you will also be able to hear the Diverter valve a bit more. And second it looks a hell of a lot better in my opinion. I would recommend the Oil less AEM Dryflow intakes.
The K&N and others that use Oiled filters have the tendencies of flinging some oil onto the MAF sensor and causing it to malfunction and the MAF's on these cars are finiky as it is.
Hands down the best overall Mod you can ever do to this car where you can actually feel the difference in Power and Performance is a tune/chip. I like REVO especially for a 2000 Model since they can write to the ECM without a chip. I wanted to go APR but first of all they were more expensive and second they can only tune your car via a chip. At least for the 2000 Model Beetle. Later Models had a larger memory ECM which APR can be direct tuned just not the 2000's.
Either way it is the best seat in the pants performance enhancement you can do to your 1.8T. The car will run a lot better, respond a lot better and accellerate a ton better even in 5th gear on the highway. No, it won't beat a 5 liter Mustang even if you think it can after the tune. But it will give most cars a run for their money. And it will defintely put a smile on your face. :)

I just bought the forge 007 and installed it yesterday. Throttle response is better. The sound isn't too different from stock, maybe a hair louder or higher pitched (although that could be my imagination). My main reason for picking one up was because of my plans to chip my car in the near future. It's mainly a preventative piece, as stock ones can't hold much more boost. There really aren't any gains other than better throttle response. That said, I don't mind the $170 for piece of mind (And it looks better) :p

I've heard they really come to life with a short ram intake, I'm starting to look into making one myself to see.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Go ahead and get the Forge Spillter! It is a great valve and more versatile then any other valve on the market. Regardless if you have a stock beetle or a tuned beetle or a ricer beetle with neon lights it doesn't matter. The Forge Splitter offers two ways to install the valve with the horn for a little wooshing sound or with the block off plate for quiet running.
After about 7 or 8 months I will bet you will get really kinda sick of hearing that sound. It took that long for me to finally change it to the Block off plate. I might change it back if I feel I need to hear more swooshing. :) But regardless of which way you lean. The best part of the Splitter is the adjustability while installed. Just a few clicks and you can fine tune it to your mods or to your seat of the pants feel. Other valves are either not adjustable or you have to take them off the car to take them apart and change springs and shims. Big pain in the butt.
The splitter might be a litte more pricey than other valves but in my opinion well worth it.

Thanks for everyones time and help! I build and play with supercharged Mustangs, it is amazing how different the two cars are and the terminology is! Thanks again!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts

Just an update, I did build my own short ram still using the bottom portion of the stock airbox to get a little fresh air in there and MAN it is LOUD! My intake is deafening lol. You sure can hear the forge 007 I put in a few weeks ago! It might get to be too much eventually, but for the time being, I am very amused with it haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts