NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was informed by the dealer I need a diverter valve, coolant sensor and thermostat. I seen aftermarket valves cheaper than OEM any thoughts ?
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Ill look again, the one I saw was $147.99
Thanks
You are shopping at the wrong place my friend :D

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > ES#581 Diverter Valve, 225hp Audi TT Version-Priced Each - 06A145710N

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Temp Sensor > ES#1892661 Coolant Temperature Sensor With O-Ring & Clip - 059919501A

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Thermostat > ES#1306802 Thermostat - 87C - 050121113C

The Diverter valve and the Coolant Sensor take about 3 to 5 minutes to install. The Thermostat is a different story. It will take about 2 - 3 hours to install. It's a pain to get to on the 1.8 engine.

When is the last time the timing belt and water pump have been replaced. Normally they replace the thermostat at the same time since it is easier to get to when everything is taken off getting to the timing belt.

What year Beetle do you have? How many miles? What type of transmission?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea just having a hard time finding parts other than the dealer.
Also need transmission part source, valve body bad, might need clutches and internal parts.
Boy I regret this car

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Lots and lots of good parts suppliers online. GermanAutoParts, ECSTuning, autohausaz, 1stvwparts, rockauto.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yea just having a hard time finding parts other than the dealer.
Also need transmission part source, valve body bad, might need clutches and internal parts.
Boy I regret this car
Might be cheaper just to buy a new transmission rather than just replace the valve body and try to rebuild it.
There is one place that sells them for $1995.00 but I can't find the link at the moment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
diverter valve

The best price I can find is $3000 + for tranny
Also the diverter valve above looks nothing like the one I was told I need .
NAPA AUTO PARTS)
Any one looking for a low miles Turbo convertible 60,000
$ 4500

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
What year is your beetle? It's a 1.8 Turbo, right?

That link you posted above to Nappa doesn't show any diverter valve. but there is really only one type and even the aftermarket ones should look very similar.

Depending on what year your beetle is will depend what type of transmission you will need. There is the old and crappy O1M 4 speed which can be had for around 2k plus shipping online but then there is the 5 speed and the 6 speed tiptronic transmissions which will be a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Napa # CRB 230517

The NAPA # is CRB 230517, similar to dealers, metal body. maybe CA emissions might be different ?
2003 20 valve 1.8 Turbo awv 6 speed auto
I am trying to get it smogged to get rid of it on trade in,

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a ok

I thank all for the help, you solved the confusion,
I believe the dealer called the combi valve a diverter valve, because it was an emission air leak problem I will double check with them.
Again thanks a lot everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts