VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beetle Dad n training ; )
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I love the 99 Beetle I got for our daughter but what is the deal with the "cup holders" on the automatic car? Cramed under the stinkin dash and very limited cup size due to height restrictions.

Would be about as useful if mounted upside down under the dash lol

So please tell me there is an option to hold big gulp cups via a different year console or aftermarket. If not I am going to fabricate up a couple before one of us or the bug ends up wearing a drink after lid is ripped out extracting it. Hope the cup holder engineer is now doing something more useful like designing left handed screwdrivers or the like. lol

Also our car has no center armrest. Is it just missing or was it not an option in 99?

Thanks for any help : )

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The cup holders are all the same for model years 1998 thru 2005 and the same goes for model years 2006 thru 2010. Also the 2006-2010 are not interchangeable with the 1998-2005 model years.

So cub holder fabrication is your only alternative.

The Center Arm Rest Console was a option starting in 2000; however the arm rest is interchangeable for model years 1998-2001.

The wife's 2000 turbo had the center arm rest and we did not like it, so I took it out and installed a 1999 center console in it.

·
Super Moderator
14,833 Posts
Go to Toys R Us, or Bed, Bath and Beyond, or any store like that, or even Amazon, and GET one of these! :D

They are meant for strollers and child car seats, but attach perfectly to the grab bar!

It was the BEST thing I ever did for my Bug!

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Go to Toys R Us, or Bed, Bath and Beyond, or any store like that, or even Amazon, and GET one of these! :D

They are meant for strollers and child car seats, but attach perfectly to the grab bar!

That would be better than fabricating something!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner! Thank you very much!:bigthumb:

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
I tried this TURUS couple years ago. They let me take them out to the car to check fitment. None fit the grab bar on my '00 bug. May try Bed Bath. My application is large Starbucks cup.
FWIW, REI has 12 oz. aluminum cups that do fit stock holders.
Ward B

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Would you be so kind to list the brand and a part number when you have a moment or two.Having trouble locating one as there are tons of different styles that are not yours. Really appreciate it

·
Notorious DOM
68 Posts
Okay I love the 99 Beetle I got for our daughter but what is the deal with the "cup holders" on the automatic car? Cramed under the stinkin dash and very limited cup size due to height restrictions.

Would be about as useful if mounted upside down under the dash lol

So please tell me there is an option to hold big gulp cups via a different year console or aftermarket. If not I am going to fabricate up a couple before one of us or the bug ends up wearing a drink after lid is ripped out extracting it. Hope the cup holder engineer is now doing something more useful like designing left handed screwdrivers or the like. lol

Also our car has no center armrest. Is it just missing or was it not an option in 99?

Thanks for any help : )
It ain't just the automatic, my man! Mine's a 5-speed and I wouldn't put a shot glass in them things. And the lack of an armrest is a bit of a disadvantage for someone who's used to using them as a crutch for getting in almost every car I've owned.

I've only had it a week, though so I'll probably get used to it. That cup holder idea posted above seems like about the only option, though. You certainly don't want to be cornering at any speed above that of an ancient matron or your drink will give you an excuse for a detail job in those stock jobs.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,419 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Moved to Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

·
Registered
128 Posts
Console with cupholders

The cup holders are all the same for model years 1998 thru 2005 and the same goes for model years 2006 thru 2010. Also the 2006-2010 are not interchangeable with the 1998-2005 model years.
So cub holder fabrication is your only alternative.
The 2006-> console is a bolt in swap in the earlier cars. I put one in a 2000.
It is a great upgrade, the cup holders are very usable. The front tray is very handy as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,833 Posts
I had to leave my cupholder in the 2002 I gave to my niece, as my 2013 has no grab bar, or anywhere else to hook one of these. Thankfully, there are two pretty good console cupholders. :eek:

·
Ooo shiny!
154 Posts
2012 and so forth no longer have the grab bar; what's with that???!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts