NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a new thread because the old one is so old so it's in 2 areas.

I just finished the top install.
After I removed the old top, It probably took me 4-6 hours to complete.
I don't understand the big deal about not doing it yourself.
I took a lot of pictures every step of the way including when removing the rubber from the pillars A,B,C. Label each part front and back, driver,passenger,and take picts on how they sit in the track. Also notice how the side cables are attached with the screws.
Make sure you vacuum out the water drain trough when the top is removed.
As far as the special tools go you must have the zipper tool. It can be bought from snap on for around $80.00 with shipping. I rented mine from a local top repair guy for $20.00.
He also loaned me a u shaped sewing needle with heavy thread to sew closed the ends of the zipper. I then used a little hot glue to assure they wouldn't come unglued.
I bought the Robbins top. I saved myself almost $2000.00 and the top looks like it did when I bought it in 2003.
This is a DIY job but you must have patience!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am considering DIY replacement of my 2009 and have the shop manual. However, the shop manual makes reference to various parts without photos so it is confusing at times. Would you please send photos and any written instructions to me at [email protected]. I would certainly appreciate the ability to review your replacement process before I purchase a top.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ready to replace

I'm getting ready to replace my top on an 09 power top. I can only find 2 videos, one in Spanish but doesn't appear to be a power top and one short one that condenses it to 11 minutes. They removed seats and side panels. First, any links for a good video and second do you really need to dissamble the rear seats and side panels? Very nervous about this but can't find anyone on the island that does these.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Power top needs a special zipper tool. You need to see if a local trim shop will rent you the tool, they are about $80-$90 new as I recall, I had one and sold it to a member here.

You will also need to stitch the ends of the zippers so they do not come undone, a curved needle and some heavy thread will work, possibly some glue or hot glue, but stitching is probably better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will be tackling this job too on a 2003 convertible with a power top. I'm having trouble finding a good video. I'm also wondering if the rear seat and interior side panels have to come off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replaced my top - DIY

I went the cheap route. I found a good looking top at LKQ for $60.00. This was for the whole top(frame included). I used this video on Youtube posted by Bentley as a guide. Note that you have to watch close. They skim over a few items. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkdd_ef0OU It took around 5 hours start to finish. Now I have a top with the rear window attached. Yes, the rear seats and side panels have to come off.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I went the cheap route. I found a good looking top at LKQ for $60.00.
Thanks for the update. I'm guessing there an LKQ close to you. Did you pull the top off the vehicle in the LKQ yard yourself? There doesn't seem to be an LKQ close to me, but we have several other types of junkyards in the area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DIY top removal

Yes, there is a LKQ close to me and I pulled it off myself. I did get help lifting it off the car and onto the wheel barrow. In addition to the 05 Beetle, we have an 03 Ram & 05 Durango. I am there picking parts alot. Parts are cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided to start a new thread because the old one is so old so it's in 2 areas.

I just finished the top install.
After I removed the old top, It probably took me 4-6 hours to complete.
I don't understand the big deal about not doing it yourself.
I took a lot of pictures every step of the way including when removing the rubber from the pillars A,B,C. Label each part front and back, driver,passenger,and take picts on how they sit in the track. Also notice how the side cables are attached with the screws.
As far as the special tools go you must have the zipper tool. It can be bought from snap on for around $80.00 with shipping. I rented mine from a local top repair guy for $20.00.
He also loaned me a u shaped sewing needle with heavy thread to sew closed the ends of the zipper. I then used a little hot glue to assure they wouldn't come unglued.
I bought the Robbins top. I saved myself almost $2000.00 and the top looks like it did when I bought it in 2003.
This is a DIY job but you must have patience!!
. How do I get those pictures and instructions . I have 06 beatle and I need to replace the top before the rain starts .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts