VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This DIY is simply for Bracing the Stock VW Door Handle with the Diesel Geek Steel Door Handle Brace. All door handle cover plates snap in, but the snaps are prone to breaking off [DHB DIY 00] and then you cannot put the cover plate back on.

If you want to replace the Door Handle entirely, that DIY can be found here.

I am not advertising for Diesel Geek, but this brace can be a permanent fix, using this method.

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you won’t glue together, cut or drill thru your fingers and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB's...

1) 1998 2.0 liter 5 speed (Both Doors)

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author when you tell all of your BUG buddies!!

TIME NEEDED: 30 Minutes to 1 Hour; depends on if you do one or both handles.

ITEMS NEEDED: A 1998-2005 VW New Beetle Repair Manual. These instructions were developed using the Bentley DVD.

PROJECT COST: $58.00 (Left/Right Handle) as of this posting shipping is free if you buy two braces from Diesel Geek. You will need four screws that are stout enough to thread into the Diesel Geek Door Handle Brace. I striped four different screws before I found one that would work. The screws that worked are the ones that hold the wheel well covers in place.

SPECIAL TOOLS: A drill and a dremel.

WARNINGS: DO NOT attempt to drill the Diesel Geek Brace without the door handle in place as your drill bit will wander; you are going to put some effort in this and if the drill bit is too small it will break; potentially causing door panel damage and/or injury.

CAUTIONS: Be careful when using the dremel, you would not want to damage you door handle cover plate.

So let’s begin ...

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 1: You need to remove the top and bottom tube clips from the door handle cover plate [DHB DIY 00]; I used a Dremel.

Step 2: Install the Diesel Geek Brace per their instructions.

Step 3:
Drill two holes through the Door Handle Cover Plate [DHB DIY 01]; specifically the third dimple from the top and the second dimple from the bottom. The drill bit that you use should be the same size as the dimple.

Step 4: Put the door handle cover plate back on the door [DHB DIY 02] and drill holes through the Diesel Geek steel brace; this will be difficult [DHB DIY 03], so be sure you have good drill bits. The drill bit that you use is smaller than the holes in the door handle cover plate.

Step 5: Put in the screws [DHB DIY 04] and that's it your Done!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Great DIY write up! I went ahead and moved it to the DIY forum, thanks for the contribution! :banana:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.