NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This DIY is simply for Removing the Stock VW Door Handel and Replacing it with the Diesel Geek Aluminum Door Handle.

I well say this, I thought this project was going to be difficult, but it turned out to be much easier than expected.

I am not advertising for Diesel Geek, but they do offer a few door handle repair options and the "Love Handle" is a bit on the pricey side; however this repair has more pleasing appearance.

If you want to use the Door Handle support brace instead, that DIY can be found here.

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you won’t glue together, cut or drill thru your fingers and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB's...

1) 2000 1.8T liter 5 speed (Both Doors) - Dear's Door Handle information ...

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author when you tell all of your BUG buddies!!

TIME NEEDED: 2-5 Hours; depends on if you do one or both handles.

ITEMS NEEDED: A 1998-2005 VW New Beetle Repair Manual. These instructions were developed using the Bentley DVD.

PROJECT COST: $269.00 (Left/Right Handles) and Shipping $13.90; Total $282.90 from Dieselgeek.

SPECIAL TOOLS: A Dremel with two tools; one for cutting and one for grinding.

WARNINGS: I strongly suggest that you watch all three Diesel Geek DIY Videos before you begin, so you have a basic understanding of what are about to do to your NB. Keep in mind that my picture taking is fairly decent; however, videos not so much. Also Choose the right Dremel tools to do your cutting and/or grinding, to minimize the results of any mistakes that you might make.

CAUTIONS: Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. Be careful when working with the door panel, as it is actually three separate parts plastic welded together; the top Color piece, the Door Handle piece and the Door Panel itself. If you are not careful you might pop some of the plastic welds causing these pieces to come apart. If something does not move look for the screw(s) that you missed and I put mine in Ziploc bag.

Be advised that some of the door panel welds may already be broken.

So let’s begin ... Did you watch the DG DIY Videos? :confused:

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step One: Remove the door Panel.

Diesel Geek has a DIY Video for removing the door panel or you can use this NB Org DIY. Follow the same instructions for removing the passenger side door panel.

Pic [DH DIY 001] shows the Passenger Side Door Panel and the door handle has already been broken completely off. Note the crack, just to the right of the top door handle mounting hole. Cracks like these are normal because of two things; plastic gets brittle as it ages and the plastic door handle allows for to much flex on the door panel when you use it. The repeated flexing weakens the door handle and panel causing cracks to develop.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step Two: Cut Out the old door handle top and bottom mount points. Did you watch the DG DIY Videos? :confused:

Diesel Geek has a DIY Video for cutting out the door panels top and bottom handle mounting points. Follow the same instructions for removing the passenger side door handle mounting points.

My mounting point removal videos can be found on You Tube here ...
1) Top Mount on the front side
2) Top Mount on the back side
3) Top Mount on the front side, getting the inside corners

I made no commentary as I worked as it is really self-explanatory.

The Diesel Geek cutting spot [DH DIY 02] is different than mine and here is why; take a look at pics [DH DIY 03A & 03B], you will notice a small rise; not certain what its purpose is, but the handle will not fit if this rise is there. The Diesel Geek cutting method cuts it out. In my method I use the Dremel to grind it down flush; as I think it is there for some support purpose; pic [DH DIY 04] shows you my method.

Pics [DH DIY 05 & 06] shows you the reverse side of the door panel.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Step Three: Put the door panel back on the door. Pics [DH DIY 07 & 08] Shows you the upper and lower door mount points and noticed that the small rise has been grinded down flush ... more or less.

Step Four: Install you aftermarket door handle(s). I do like the look, but IMHO the price is a bit high. When you grab for the first time to use it, you will notice that it is a firmer feel than the original door handle, even when the car was new.

That is it! You are Done! :banana:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts