NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about the possibility of installing a homemade hitch receiver on my bug to accomodate a hitch-mount bike carrier. I know it won't suffice for actually towing a trailer or anything, but I don't want to pay $100 or more for a class 1 hitch if a simple length of square tube stock will work just as well. I already have the carrier and a hitch on another vehicle, and this would give me the option of hauling my bike on the bug from time to time.

Can anyone offer any advice on whether or not this will work? It seems that a length of square tubing bolted underneath and drilled to accept the hitch pin should do nicely. I'm still at stock ride height so clearance shouldn't be an issue. Am I overlooking anything?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have a hitch on mine. I use a bike rack and a cargo tray (not at the same time). I got mine from e-trailer. It's pretty complicated and had to be attached to the tie down loop under the back bumper, in addition to being drilled through the trunk and attached to the frame.

I worry about my hitch as it is, and it was designed for my Beetle. I don't believe I'd trust a homemade job. It is VERY easy to rub it on the pavement when going in and out of driveways from the street or on speedbumps. So I like that it's attached in so many places.

Also, my Yakima bike rack (loaded or not) really rocks back and forth (I just did 3500 miles with 3 bikes on the rack), although the cargo tray doesn't seem to. That rocking concerns me that I'm putting too much twist on the hitch. But I know I probably worry too much.

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Beetle&category=hitch&year=2000&make=Volkswagen&t1=&h=e

I got the Draw-tight one.

Karen

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info... The more I think about it I may just save the bike trips for the old SUV. My driveway is pretty steep and I occasionally bottom out as it is (especially when I have passengers!).

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've thought about that, but I don't want to risk dinging the paint getting the bike up there. I'm also not thrilled about paying more for a roof rack and bike holder than I paid for the bike!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I do wish there was someone who made a hitch that could be built onto the bumper, and stuck through the bumper cover, rather than bolted on underneath.

A standard hitch would be great... but even a "dual pipe" hitch, ala the mounts for the new Mini Cooper bike racks, would work for me! ;)

Attachments

·
dunno513
1,236 Posts
Steinola said:
I do wish there was someone who made a hitch that could be built onto the bumper, and stuck through the bumper cover, rather than bolted on underneath.

A standard hitch would be great... but even a "dual pipe" hitch, ala the mounts for the new Mini Cooper bike racks, would work for me! ;)

There is an option if you want to get your hands a little dirty in a modification and some welding / or drilling and bolting.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=83618&highlight=beetle+hitch

I plan on something of the sort thru the rear grate on a new 06 beetle if there is room. I plan to mount it flush and will deal with the aggrivation of having to get under the car to connect the receiver, rather than have it extend like this one.

I plan on purchasing a bumper mount hitch receiver for a p/u, if the space will warrant a 2" mount, then bolt that to a piece of "L" channel steel, (stainless if not 2 much $) approximately 3 feet long then bolt that to the safety 5mph bumper. The "L" channel should provide sufficient support spread over 3 feet. I will use a spacer between the hitch and the "L" channel to get the correct height. I will use a dremmel to cut out the rear grate, and then attach this cutout to a decorative hitch mount, so that its 99% hidden. If this works I will make the spec's easy and document my steps so that this can be done by all.

This should also work for any NB, but prior to 06's you would be cutting thru the bumper cover, and not a replacable grate like the 06's.

Update 4/17

Stay tuned if this is of interest. I am putting together the supply list and will start to figure it out since the back bumper needs to be removed to do any brainstorming work. I had originally given up the idea of a hitch until I went skiing. hahahahahaha.. and the thought of the roof ski racks.. (almost 300 bucks) sent me back to the board. Hitch mounted ski holder is what I plan and a bike rack will also fit and I can leave my roof alone.

·
dunno513
1,236 Posts
Update on the 2006 tow hitch brainstorm.

I took some time looking at the rear of my beetle :eek: I managed to easily figure out how to pop off the clear rear lenses and remove the solid grill insert between them. It looks like a mount can be bolted to the 5mph saftey bumper without too much difficulty, BUT.... there isn't as much depth as I had hoped for.

So, although I am glad that I don't need to pull the whole rear bumper, It's back to the brainstorming to figure out what will work/fit and look clean. I'm leaning towards a 2" square tube (short to fit) then using a 2" to 1" reducer matched to fit the limited length of the 2" tube. This reducer would be installed only when needed and otherwise the 2" tube would be completely covered up. No cutting necessary. Just the aggrivation of removing the solid grill. (Approx 5 minutes, only thing needed is a #2 P-head.)

Remember this is brainstorming for a 2006 only.

·
dunno513
1,236 Posts
So I just sold my pick-up which had been converted into the bi-monthly trash run vehicle. Nice to have some extra cash, and not having to worry about its upkeep and insurance cost is puurty nice. My 3 y/o keeps saying we have to go and get it back :( He loved going for rides in it. Anyways, back on topic.

I'm now with out a utility vehicle so I'm going to get going on this before my garage is overrun with trash. I hope to have a real "hidden hitch" by the middle of next month. My next purchase is a nice utility trailer. Anyone know of a trailer that looks good being pulled by a beetle :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts