VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· 50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY / "How To" Fix: Car blows only hot air or temperature control does not work.

There are two main reasons the car will blow only hot air:

1. No refrigerant (due to any number of things... not covered here!)

2. The Blend door / Temperature control door mechanism does not work (covered here).

There is also an excellent write up from D2Beetle HERE well worth investigating.

To find out if this applies to you open the passenger side door and look under the area directly in front of the center console.

Make sure you have ample lighting!!!!

A MUST have is a small mirror and a piece of wire that can be easily bent.

You are looking for the lever that control the blending of hot and cold air. It SHOULD look like this.....

If it DOES NOT look like the above picture, then you probably see that the lever has fallen out of the housing. If so, the bushing on top of the lever has broken clips and cannot stay up in the housing - it has disengaged with the door opening mechanism aka blend door (conversely, this may also cause the blend door to be stuck on cold air - hence no heat!!).

You can get someone, or stretch your hand up, to move the control on the dash and observe the moving of this lever.

Remove the nut visible on the lever and take off the top part of the lever (the bushing).

Get a new bushing (Part Number 1H0 819 136)

Re-bolt the new bushing onto the lever.

Now comes the tricky part!!

Using a mirror, locate the end of blend door that this new bushing fits into ... MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that it is centered and not pushed to the side.. if it is, you may need an piece of wire to reposition it.

The diagram below is a drawing of the end of the blend door. The center area fits onto a slot on the top of the bushing.

Make sure you line them up correctly.

It may take several tries until you get it just right. The bushing will not seat properly in the housing until you get this center piece of the blend door into the top of the bushing.

Turn on the A/C and make the car engine warm up and give it a try. If you did it correctly then you are "Good to Go!"

Special thanx to D2BEETLE for his help!!

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must add... while this is an easy fix.. it's a PITA to do because there is hardly any space.

A key is A LOT of PATIENCE.

The first time this happened to me (approx. 1 year ago) I took it to Txxe Pxxs and they wanted to charge me over $200 to pull the dash apart... I told them NO WAY!! They eventually said they could fix it for about $80.

This time I decided to do it myself and realized that they realy did not fix it the first time.... shoddy job:mad:. I am now getting colder air that I can ever remember since I own the car:).

All the best with your attempt.

I will try to answer any questions relating to this.

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardly any space is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

OK got a chance to look under there. The lever looks like the picture. It has about a 1/8 gap between the lever and the housing and the lever moves when the control knob is turned on the dash.

I also tried to pull the lever out of the housing (gently) and it didn't budge.

Guess it is a refrigerant problem... I hope.
Yeah... I would say the blend door mechanism is OK....

Refrigerant is my next guess, but this was easy enough to check and rule out.

All the best! :thup:

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You can access things from beneath but because there is no space it is a PITA!

... although taking the dash off would make things easier... taking apart a dash is much more headache than what you would have to do.

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try going under there and turning it to make it stay on cold... might work.... but mind you... space is tight!

All the best!

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have pics and a hand made drawing in the original post.

If the hole looks too small.. then you probably have the RIGHT hole.

You have to use a mirror.

As I said before.. easy fix... but pain in the @$$ to get it done because there is no space.

PS... A GOOD flashlight and Mirror!!!

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Antonym! Your pictures and notes gave me the guidance I needed to fix the blend door problem on my 2003 2.0L GL. The local dealer in Springfield, VA, wanted $1900+ to do it. It took me five hours and $40 in parts (the new bushing and a pollen filter). Dismantling the dash, removing the glove box and just getting access to it is tough but not impossible if you work carefully. Now the temp control works normally again!
You are very welcomed!

I am so happy I could help a fellow DIY'er keep money in his pockets!!

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For some reason the pics from antonymn's excellent description are not showing up in the thread. Any way I can get those pics?
thanks,
jerry
Hmm.. I can see them fine. Maybe an administrator has suggestions for you. I have no idea why you can't see them. All the best!

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My ac is suck on hot also. It is 100 degrees here in the summer so i need to fix it now. It started off blowing foam through the dash now it is stuck on hot. Going to try to fix it the way you said. Would bypassing the heater help any?
.. first tell me how you are going to bypass the heater and I will tell you if I think it will help.

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was going to disconnect the hoses going through the firewall to the heater core and using a copper 90 put them together, that way the hot water never makes it to the core. I have a lot of experience with air cooled but I am new to the water cooled vw's
Um ... it would be much easier, and simpler to fix it properly in my opinion. I fear you may cause the car's computer to not know what the hell was going on and throw codes. The trouble you would go through to do what you suggested is easily avoided by doing it D2Beetle's way, or the slightly easier (but PITA) way you see here. All the best.

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
drove the car around for a little while the problem is only half fixed. I no lomger have hot air in my face but the air is not cold either. It is only slightly cooler then the vent without ac. How big of a job is it to replace the foam that has blown out of the vents. Do I have to take the whole thing apart?
I believe you are already familiar with D2Beetle's thread: http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I can't see the pictures either. I've tried explorer and firefox (both 32 bit) and no luck. I'm quite sure my daughters car is suffering from this exact ailment & I would love to see the pics before I start contorting this old body & eyes ;-) I can see D2Beetle's Blend Door DIY pics... but not these.
Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks to Antonym, D2Beetle, & others for the great info... *very* helpful
Not sure what to tell you ... they show up fine here ... I hope you figure it out soon.

1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I never got them to show up but I found pictures of the same culprit on the vwvortex forum for the Golf/Jetta:
Home,Forum,Volkswagen,Golf IV & Jetta IV,
DIY: Heater, Air Conditiong Fix (blend door issue)

VWVortex.com - DIY: Heater, Air Conditiong Fix (blend door issue)

With a visual in hand, under the dash I went, and sure enough... same problem. Since I didn't have a replacement part, I borrowed the idea offered in another post to use a small socket and wedge it between the lever and the lower heater duct to hold it in place until the new part arrives... worked like a champ.:D

"Patience required" can be a major understatement! I struggled for quite a while before I could get the lever re-inserted and aligned with the blend door. I would also recommend finding someone young, small, and flexible as well... just about killed me laying upside down with my spine bent over the door jamb!

TIP: I did not use a mirror to align the blend door... I just suck a finger up in the hole to feel/adjust the blend door alignment. On several attempts to re-insert the lever, the blend door would slip to the side & I couldn't feel it... I thought I had really messed up and was in for a dash disassembly nightmare to recover it. I had my daughter turn on the blower while sticking my finger in the duct & THANKFULLY, it "pulled" the door back against my finger so I could reposition it again (which I had to do many times).

Hopefully this extra info helps someone else a bit.

Thanks again!... these newsgroups & your inputs are invaluable for resolving these kinds of problems.:D
(still wish I knew why the picture didn't show but... :confused:)
I am very glad it worked out and that we could help .... I hope you figure out the picture thing soon. All the best for the rest!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.