NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
It's not hard. The O2 sensors are sold with wires already on so all you have to do is unbolt it from the exhaust and unplug it from the connection box (black plastic box to the side of the exhaust by the catalytic converter, where both O2 sensor wires go in to).

The hardest part is unbolting the O2 sensor, they tend to be on there real tight. So tight I myself am too nervous to do it with the car on jackstand. I use the Rhino ramps, but that makes it a tight squeeze to get under the car where the sensors are. Up to you.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I take it the front and rear sensors are in close proximity to each other? And I would guess that I will have to go to the dealer to get buttercup recoded to rid myself of the check engine light. Either that or find someone who has a VAG-COM? Lemmie know.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The O2 sensors are on either end of the catalytic converter. You could go to AutoZone to have the CEL reset.
This sometimes works. Take a little bit of wax, and let it melt around the O2 sensor. Then take a wrench to remove the sensor. The wax will get down into the threads, and sometimes makes it easier to remove.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Then your other two options are to just drive it. After a few cold to hot cycles the computer will turn off the CEL. Or, disconnect the battery for a while. The down side of that is that all of your radio settings will go away.
Where are you located? Maybe someone local to you could help out with Vag-Com.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the "battery disconnect" method really work? I'll give it a shot. You guys have been a great help, thanks. It's nice to do these tasks on the DIY tip. The money saved goes into more mods, yeah? :D

Also, I must give you CA dudes props. Yall have this knack for the VW mods. especially the air-cooled ones. :bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts