VW Beetle Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear SalsaMan, Thank you for a helpful post.

I have a question. After you drain oil from Oil Filter Drain, how do you close the white plastic part back out?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

·
Bugaholic
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Dear SalsaMan, Thank you for a helpful post.

I have a question. After you drain oil from Oil Filter Drain, how do you close the white plastic part back out?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Not sure what white plastic part you are talking about. Can you post a pic? Remember this tutorial is for a 2006 NB with the 5 cylinder engine. If this is not your car, your oil filter design may be different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a 73mm 14 flat tool made by power tools from advanced auto but it was too small. my 2008 took a 76mm 14 flat tool. after a trip to advanced my grandad cam out and told me to see if his Harley Davidson filter tool would work and it was a perfect fit also
Yes, 73 mm will not fit a 2008. I bought a cheap wrench that is actually 76/77, meaning it fits two different sizes, and I always get it stuck. I am going to follow your path and go to the Harley Davidson dealership.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Easier than it sounded. I just did the oil on my 2007 2.5 - I did it the old fashioned way, pulled the drain plug, let it drain, moved the pan forward. When it came to the filter housing drain, I just pushed in, then down with my finger - no need for a 35$ tool, or a screw driver. Used the "B" filter wrench from autozone, pulled the housing - replaced gassket, filter, put the housing back up, replaced drain plug.
Filled the engine, started it, shut it down, topped off the oil, and back on the road. All told, took me about 25 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks!!

I just got an 07 NB 2.5L BPR with almost 100K miles. Thanks SalsaMan for posting this DIY oil change, this post will certainly help me when I change the oil.

Do you (or anyone) know if the 2007's 2.5L engine the same as the 2006's 2.5L model?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just changed the oil in my 2006 NBC w/2.5L engine. This was THE first oil change for my Beetle (at 5200 mi) and THE first time I’ve changed oil in a New Beetle. I’ve read various posts on changing oil but very few pictures and no start to finish procedure. So I put the following together for whatever it’s worth and hope it will be helpful to someone. It is specific to the 2.5L 5 cylinder for 2006. The way I did this was very easy and very clean – unlike any of the other oil changes I’ve ever done on other cars.

The maintenance schedule for the 2006 2.5L requires the oil be changed at 5000mi, at 10,000mi, and every 10,000 miles thereafter. Volkswagen specifies 5W-40 under all conditions and the oil must meet VW 505.01 or 502 specs. VW says that if you can’t find 5W-40 that 5W-30 can be substituted. I used Valvoline SynPower fully synthetic.

Tools that I used to do this job:

1) Torque wrench that can measure 25 NM (Newton Meters)
2) 12” 3/8-drive extension
3) Oil Filter housing removal tool (14 “flats”, about 73mm diameter) (I bought OEM Oil Filter “B” Cap Wrench from AutoZone)
4) Oil filter housing drain tool ( can be purchased here -> GermanAutoParts.com )
5) Oil evacuation tool (thru the dipstick)
6) Low rise car ramps

Parts:

1) Oil Filter element
2) 6.3 quarts (6 Liters) Oil
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have always used 5w-30 instead of the 5w-40. Just to make sure isn't the 30 weight thicker than the 40 weight?

Anyway, I live in hot and humid Florida and think I decided a long time ago that for this climate the 30 weight would be better for me in all my cars than the 40 is, due to being thicker, and we also of course have mild winters even though I am in North Fl., it still usually never gets lower than the 20's on a very cold winters night.

Anyway just wanted to get your input? I have noticed most people I talk to on the net seem to be using the 40 more than the 30.
Hope I chose the correct one? Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just changed the oil in my 2006 NBC w/2.5L engine. This was THE first oil change for my Beetle (at 5200 mi) and THE first time I’ve changed oil in a New Beetle. I’ve read various posts on changing oil but very few pictures and no start to finish procedure. So I put the following together for whatever it’s worth and hope it will be helpful to someone. It is specific to the 2.5L 5 cylinder for 2006. The way I did this was very easy and very clean – unlike any of the other oil changes I’ve ever done on other cars.

The maintenance schedule for the 2006 2.5L requires the oil be changed at 5000mi, at 10,000mi, and every 10,000 miles thereafter. Volkswagen specifies 5W-40 under all conditions and the oil must meet VW 505.01 or 502 specs. VW says that if you can’t find 5W-40 that 5W-30 can be substituted. I used Valvoline SynPower fully synthetic.

Tools that I used to do this job:

1) Torque wrench that can measure 25 NM (Newton Meters)
2) 12” 3/8-drive extension
3) Oil Filter housing removal tool (14 “flats”, about 73mm diameter) (I bought OEM Oil Filter “B” Cap Wrench from AutoZone)
4) Oil filter housing drain tool ( can be purchased here -> GermanAutoParts.com )
5) Oil evacuation tool (thru the dipstick)
6) Low rise car ramps

Parts:

1) Oil Filter element
2) 6.3 quarts (6 Liters) Oil
==================================================================

I know this post is only like 10 yrs old,duh!:)---- but something is puzzling me about the jug of VAVOLINE SYNPOWER OIL.
Because the jugs that you buy today no longer say on the back of the jug that it is 502/505 VW approved.
So does that mean that they changed the oil over the years and now it doesn't meet the requirements?
Are you still using this oil? (probably don't still have the car, but figured it would not hurt to ask?)
I checked w/Valvoline Co., and they and a pdf valvoline chart i found says that only their "Synpower MST" oil meets the 502/505 req.
NOT the SYNPOWER like i have been using!
I could have sworn that I checked the back of the jug when i first bought this oil about 1 1/2 yrs ago and it listed 502.00!
But like i said, it's not on the jugs of SYNPOWER i have in my garage right now.
So anyway, let me know if you know whats up with all of this?
Here is a link to the "MST" which is for European cars.------AND I KNOW DARN WELL THAT A FEW YRS AGO THE REGULAR JUG OF SYNPOWER SAID ON IT THAT IT MET THE 502, BUT THEY OBVIOUSLY HAVE CHANGED THINGS UP WHILE I CONTINUED TO PUT THE INCORRECT OIL IN MY VW 2.5 LITER 5 CYL., ENGINE!
So anyway here is the link that i finally found------http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-our-products/all-products/engine-oil/passenger-car-motor-oil/synpower-mst-5w30-synthetic-engine-oil

UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>AFTER I TYPED ALL OF THIS I WENT BACK FOUND THE 502.00 APPROVED OILS AND IT LISTED THE VALVOLINE SYNPOWER 5W-40 BUT NOT THE 5W-30, SO I AM GUESSING THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW ONE CAN BE APPROVED AND THE OTHER NOT? I mean the only difference is the weight right?
And like i previously stated, as for the 5w-30 the Synpower MST is the only one listed.
Anyway, I still could have sworn i seen it on the back of the 5w-30 sypower 5 qt. jug!
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Well, if you have a question; about a specific product from Valvoline, I would contact them and see what they have to say. Let us know; the results of your inquiry:

Valvoline Products

1-800-TEAM-VAL

1-800-832-6825

email/snail mail/online chat/: Contact Us

·
Registered
14 Posts
Step 3:

Unscrew the oil filter housing drain cap. Insert and screw in the oil filter housing drain tool taking care to make sure the pinch clip on the tube is set to the closed position. Insert the end of the tube into a collection container and open the pinch clip to drain the filter. When the oil is drained, remove the drain tool.
May I ask what tool you used to unscrew the Oil fiter drain cap? Is it just a regular wrench?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I think that the 74.5 mm socket is for the whole filter housing. And it really helps to have it! If I remember correctly the drain plug cap can be loosened with a regular socket (maybe 32 mm??) or even a pair of adjustable pliers.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts