NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my paintscratch.com kit and I am going to be painting my bumper soon. I am going to use this thread to show my progress once I really get going on it.

I'll post pictures of the project later tonight.

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weapons for a Paint battle!

I have finally assembled the complete set of tools and hardware for my DIY paint job.

Here's everything!

From safety gloves, respirator and goggles, to sandpaper. Plus all the critical components...

Adhesion promoter, flexible primer, base coat, and clearcoat.

This evening I filled in the Holes on my bumper to ensure that I am front plateless at the end of this operation.

Who's excited?

Me

:) Pictures of the bumper, tomorrow. I promise

Attachments

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photos of the bumper as of today.

The black goopy spots where the front license plate should be are the holes that I filled in last night and just before I took the pictures (needed a little extra fillin')

Beware the leprosy!

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
what happened to the front of your bumper? how did it get all that damage?

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
has the car been repainted previously? i've read someplace before that VW uses a black primer on these cars regardless of color:confused: could be wrong

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
EASY!

The previous owner was in an accident (I have proof, I just can't use that proof to get it fixed). They had the bumper redone at I ASSUME, maaco or some earl schib type place. Anyway, that's why it looks like that...

Apparently none of the bumper work was done right, and I really found out today!

Originally a VW dealer told me, I would need to get a new bumper, another shop (who has done great work on two of my parents cars in the past) told me they or I could use the existing bumper without issue.

So I cleaned my bumper up, REALLY good, and got all the old paint and crap off. Seems that wasn't enough. As the VW dealer had told me, that paint sat too long, and got into the rubber of the bumper...The primer started bubbling up and leaving pock marks like it was just small areas that I hadn't painted at all.

I have photos, but I'll decide whether to post em or not. Right now I need to figure out where to get a new bumper from.

Nice thing is this...

I bought ALL this paint and primer...Only used 1.5 cans of primer, not even an entire can of adhesion promoter, and I have 4.25 cans of paint left (I sprayed the car to simply cover up the primer and make it NOT so noticeable, and I put the car back together)

And here I spazzed about not having enough paint.

:( grrr, mad about this

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
If you are still getting bubbling then you did not prep the surface properly.

I had that happen on my engine cover. I had to completly resand it. Rub it down with denatured alcohol a couple of times. Then I let it air dry for a full 24 hours... well it was more like a week... and then wiped it down with a tack cloth.

It then took the paint and primer with out issue. Even a fully year later it still looks good. :)

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fowvay said:
If you are still getting bubbling then you did not prep the surface properly.

I had that happen on my engine cover. I had to completly resand it. Rub it down with denatured alcohol a couple of times. Then I let it air dry for a full 24 hours... well it was more like a week... and then wiped it down with a tack cloth.

It then took the paint and primer with out issue. Even a fully year later it still looks good. :)
Actually...I did prep properly...spent about 3 1/2 hours prepping, removing old paint, and sanding down smooth. Also used a prep cleaner and wiped the surface down for a good 10 mins to ensure the bumper was clean.

I can tell it is something in the bumper rubber, because the bubbling issues are in the SAME exact spots the paint peeled away at, plain and simple.

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SMG said:
My #1 recommendation is to go find a junked silver bug and buy the bumper from it.

Return / sell the paint and you'll be further ahead financially.

SMG
I tried this...Wasn't really an option because all the cars I found had busted front bumpers or were having paint issues. Can't return the paint, and I'll probably have a difficult time selling it.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
VW2.0Driver said:
I tried this...Wasn't really an option because all the cars I found had busted front bumpers or were having paint issues. Can't return the paint, and I'll probably have a difficult time selling it.
If you do sell the paint, I'd be interested in at least some of it. Need some Silver Arrow to do a few mods. :)

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I may sell some of it in the end...I have, like I said earlier, 4.5 cans left. I think the can was 24.95 a piece...I'll probably sell it for that shipped, per can, If I need to sell it. Guess I'll see what is left when I actually get a new bumper and paint it.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
i may be interested in a can as well...i could use some touch up on my silver arrow as well

pm me if you decide to sell the paint ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
paint

The bumper was painted when new so how can something be in the bumper contaminating the paint.
You should be using a compressor spray gun set up as you need to add a flex agent to the paint on the plastic bumper.
Silver paint has been a problem paint for years as there is so much metallic flakes in it to bring out the shine but it is the best paint to hide damage as opposed to say black.
I would suggest you go to a body paint supply store that actually sells and mixes paint for cars ask them for advice on primer/ paint and wax /grease remover all the chemicals must be compatable thats why you should stick with one brand like r/m dupont or whatever and use a wax grease remover compatable with the paint/primer .
Your cheapest option unless you have access to a compressor spray gun set up would be to take the bumper to a body shop ask them to spray it, if you remove the old paint [use fine wet /dry paper and add a little dish soap to the water] the cost should be minimal .
good luck

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
VW2.0Driver said:
Right now I need to figure out where to get a new bumper from.
If you are still looking for a front bumper I have a stock bumper skin i could sell you. It does not have the lower grill portion and is currently painted red, but this won't matter since you are repainting anyway. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
The other day I was washing my car and I had a large chunck of clear coat come off. The front bumper has never been resprayed, just has 102K on it.

I also has a stock bumper skin for sale, straight black palstic, ready to prime and paint any color.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
... ahhh .. clear coat coming off. Yeah. I get that *kinda* when claybaring over rock chips. I suppose I shouldnt do that.

I hope your bumper gets better soon! *hugs*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts