NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the Short Ram intake that I built. Broke the breather tube on accident so I had to improvise on getting the breather filtered. The setup works, can hear the DV and turbo spool a lot clearer. The sound of the motor is louder too. Sounds louder with the windows up and no ac on.

I'm planning on getting an Agency Power diverter valve.

20130430_114258 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

20130430_114305 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

20130430_114310 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
So, after all that work; do you think it performs any better then stock? Got any dyno sheets, before and after? :)
.....just stop. dont do that. its still sucking in that hot air. you know it made 0% difference. no reason to ask that question.

-jd :p

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Some people like cold air intakes, so maybe some people might like hot air intakes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel that the car slightly lost a little power actually. It performed a bit better with the factory intake b/c it was drawing cool air from the fender.

I personally love the sound of the turbo and dv. I love the way it (dv) swooshes and the sound of the compressor spooling is awesome. It helps me drive and know when to shift depending on the driving that I'm doing. It helps with fuel economy because you can hear the boost pressure fluctuating. A lot of boost equals high fuel consumption. But it does not give any performance gains whatsoever. It's purely sound pleasure.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
.....just stop. dont do that. its still sucking in that hot air. you know it made 0% difference. no reason to ask that question.

-jd :p
I dunno. When I had one, it seemed to have more power on the top end, but the noticeable sluggishness in the low end and the obnoxious amount of noise made me take it off and box the stock air box back on. So I feel it does make a difference perfomance-wise.. according to my butt-dyno anyway.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
according to my butt-dyno anyway.
omg i spit monster energy drink out when i read this.

an airfilter doesnt give enough power to feel like say a chip or exhaust.

-jd

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I dunno. When I had one, it seemed to have more power on the top end, but the noticeable sluggishness in the low end and the obnoxious amount of noise made me take it off and box the stock air box back on. So I feel it does make a difference perfomance-wise.. according to my butt-dyno anyway.
Do you have an automatic or 5sp? I think the autos are bit faster than a standard, the New Beetle 1.8t can be shifted quickly but its still not a very fast shift time nonetheless. Maybe this is why you noticed some performance gain?

I popped the stock airbox back on and noticed more throttle response immediately. I just don't like how quiet the motor is, and I don't wanna hack up the stock air box. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Some people like the sound of their motors whereas others like the quietness factor. I have a stock exhaust system so its not unbearable to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, after all that work; :)
Work? It wasn't any work at all. $40 of parts and 20 minutes under the hood in a shaded breezy area out front with some beers. Does that sound like work? I salvaged all original parts so it can be easily reversed back to stock when and if I ever sell the car. Let me clear this up...

Bottom line:

The mod is worth the time and effort of installation if you meet the following criteria;

a.) You have +- $40.00

b.) You want to hear your Borg Warner K03 turbo spool up when boosted.

c.) You want to hear the diverter valve releasing built up boost pressure.

d.) You are willing to acknowledge that there are minimal to no performance gains.

e.) You don't take what others say very seriously because you know you are doing what you personally want to do.

Endnote:
If you qualify for the above criteria, you are ready and able to install a DIY short ram intake.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It would be better if you built a cold air box around the cone filter to prevent heated air from contaminating your intake charge. How big is your cone filter? That one seems small and I don't think there is any gain in surface area compared to stock.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It would be better if you built a cold air box around the cone filter to prevent heated air from contaminating your intake charge. How big is your cone filter? That one seems small and I don't think there is any gain in surface area compared to stock.
It's not smaller than any other cone filter, its just a bit wider and compact. Do you understand that the intake charge passes right by the hot side of the turbo? That makes "cold-air" induction irrelevant. The intercooler cools down the intake charge before combustion. If you really want to cool down the intake charge you invest in a better intercooler. I know I'm inducing more hot air than stock but in the end, I really don't care.

This is my daily, I'm not planning on building until 125k. It has all oem parts so its really not that quick. Its only 150hp @ 8-9lbs.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
I know I'm inducing more hot air than stock but in the end, I really don't care.
if you put in hot air, you get warm air.
if you put cooler air you get colder air.

in the end the source of the air is a big difference. if it didnt make a difference then people wouldnt have ever used a CAI.

did you see my thread of how i placed mine right next to the air vent in the turbo-s bumper? im feeding in COLDER AIR than from my engine bay. after taking a temp reading i was +5 degrees warmer than ambient. in the end it does matter. thats the point of making a cold air intake. if you just wanted it to look cool under the hood, just put a stuffed animal in there.

when the bumper is on it feeds the cold air intake:

i like the sound too. by your video you made it sounds like you need a stiffer spring. it flutters too much. just sayin.

-jd

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just need to buy a new DV. I really don't want to tear up my car in order to slightly reduce the intake charge temperature, its still under warranty. Good job on your intake, its something to be very proud of (great ingenuity). Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Can we fit a gt30r turbo in the New Beetle? I want to build the motor when the warranty expires @ 125K, I'm at 88K. I'm gonna put ARP head studs, new rods, new cam, new clutch etc. I want to run it at low boost (11-12 lbs). Is it better to go gt28rs or gt30r? I definitely don't want to go k04.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Can we fit a gt30r turbo in the New Beetle? I want to run it at low boost (11-12 lbs). Is it better to go gt28rs or gt30r?
thx for the compliment!

my stage 3 was a gt28rs with a hot size of 71. i went to a 52 for more low end torque.

unless youre going to use NOS to get you going in first gear, i wouldnt use anything bigger than a disco potato or you will have major turbo lag. i put down 398whp and 365tq with that set up. i was also running 28ish #'s of boost.

i would love to help out with the stage 3. just lemme know.

-jd

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
forge 007 and bailey are the only ones ive had experience with. i would highly reccomend one of those as they are very reliable.

-jd

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Do you have an automatic or 5sp? I think the autos are bit faster than a standard, the New Beetle 1.8t can be shifted quickly but its still not a very fast shift time nonetheless. Maybe this is why you noticed some performance gain?
I doubt the transmission had anything to do with it.. I've had my car as a daily for 8 years so a tiny difference is very noticeable to me. Then again, my car is stage 2, designed to be used with a different intake so maybe that had something to do with it. But IMO, the stock intake is sufficient unless you go stage 3.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts