VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: The author is not responsible for any injuries/deaths or damages to your car resulting from the use of this guide! Use at your own risk.

Tools needed: (1) T20 Torx driver (2) Phillips head screw driver

1. I suggest turning on the ignition, sliding the sunroof blind to the back and putting the sunroof in the propped up position (SR DIY#1). You can then turn off the ignition.

2. The two trim pieces shown (SR DIY#2 & SR DIY#10) will have to be removed. The bottom is attached at 2 points, the top at 3 points.

To remove the bottom trim (should be done first) pop off the area at the star or area of attachment (SR DIY#2) by pulling gently toward you (center of the car) then slide the whole piece toward the front of the car (see direction of arrow) to detach the last point (on removal you will understand why).

To remove the top trim pop the area with the stars by pulling gently toward you then push the whole piece toward the rear of the car (SR DIY#2 - see direction of arrow).

3. Remove the three torx screws (SR DIY#3).

4. Do the same with the next side and remove the sunroof (SR DIY#4).

5. Slide the sunroof blind (or cover - whatever you prefer) to the front. Look on the top of the blind where you should see 4 glides, two on each side (front - SR DIY#5 & and rear - SR DIY#6). I suggest using the philips screw driver to remove these screws and take the slides out. This makes the sunroof blind MUCH easier to come out and reduces the possibility of breaking them (SR DIY#7).

6. For installation of the sunroof blind, reverse procedure in step 5.

7. For installation of the sunroof I strongly suggest lowering the arms (SR DIY#8) and lowering the sunroof in place gently (SR DIY#9). Once this is done there should be no issues with correct fit of the sunroof in the opening.

8. Replace the torx screws (SR DIY#9) and check for fitment before tightening them all.

9. Raise the sunroof (SR DIY#1) and reattach the trim pieces (SR DIY#10). MAKE SURE to put the correct pieces on the correct side and put on the top trim piece FIRST!

(Additional resource: VWVortex.com)

Attachments

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Thanks Evanrude!

Been thinking about it for a while after I searched on the Org and could find no direct instructions. So when I started to do my headliner project I had it in mind to take the pics for this DIY. There is a DIY on VWVortex that helped too but it is not specific to beetles.

·
Everett Street in May
3,239 Posts
Awesome, great write-up on something that I was always afraid to mess with.

Came out first class!!!

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Awesome, great write-up on something that I was always afraid to mess with.

Came out first class!!!
Thanks!

I was more than a little scared ... so I read a LOT before I decided to try it and took many many precautions, hence the caution on getting the glass fitted back in correctly which is the main "tricky" part so to speak.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Excellent DIY. I wish I would've found this a week ago when I messed was installing a replacement sunshade. I had to mess with it again yesterday when I found out I had a clogged sunroof drain and water was leaking from the rear corner of the headliner and onto the back seat. My sunshade was missing when I bought the car as were the trim pieces on either side of the sunroof...or so I thought. The trim pieces were actually shoved all the way back above the headliner and were partially blocking the rear rain channels.

Just a piece of advice...while you have the sunroof removed go ahead and run some trimmer line or mechanics wire through the drain tubes to make sure they functioning properly. It's much easier to do with the glass out of the way and it gives you the opportunity to clean the channels and tracks on either side of the sunroof. 2 of the 4 drains were clogged and I had no idea until we got some heavy rains. It wouldn't hurt to lube everything before reassembly also.

I'm just glad I found this problem before I reupholstered the headliner and sunshade.

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent DIY. I wish I would've found this a week ago when I messed was installing a replacement sunshade. I had to mess with it again yesterday when I found out I had a clogged sunroof drain and water was leaking from the rear corner of the headliner and onto the back seat. My sunshade was missing when I bought the car as were the trim pieces on either side of the sunroof...or so I thought. The trim pieces were actually shoved all the way back above the headliner and were partially blocking the rear rain channels.

Just a piece of advice...while you have the sunroof removed go ahead and run some trimmer line or mechanics wire through the drain tubes to make sure they functioning properly. It's much easier to do with the glass out of the way and it gives you the opportunity to clean the channels and tracks on either side of the sunroof. 2 of the 4 drains were clogged and I had no idea until we got some heavy rains. It wouldn't hurt to lube everything before reassembly also.

I'm just glad I found this problem before I reupholstered the headliner and sunshade.
Thanks! Good advice on the drain tube cleaning!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.