NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 2.0L 5speed. Over the years I have noticed some weird things when the car is low on fluids. When the oil needs to be changed it starts to make a high pitch whine when driving over 3000rpm. This is a very gradual change(a few weeks) that I don't notice until its gone. That's not much of an issue, its the low fuel that alarms me. Whenever I'm on the freeway and the fuel light goes on and it beeps, the engine seems to cut out for a second then go back to normal, making the car lurch a bit. This happens every time and has always happened. The other thing I notice when the fuel is low is that the engine seems to be a lot louder at higher rpm. Basically, the higher the rpm, the faster and louder the vrum vrum noise gets. When I fill, up most of the engine noise goes away, leaving a pleasant purr. So, is something wrong, or are beetles just fluid sensitive?

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
A couple of things would seem to make some sense about what you are saying:

When the oil is in need of changing, it loses its ability to stick to the engine parts like it should and is thin; possibly lowering the oil pressure in the engine. So, if this theory is true; the new oil raises the oil pressure and the parts are lubricated like they should (thus less noise), the new oil isn't broken down like the old oil was. I remember; on some cars, when the oil was worn out; the car would use oil more.

When the gas levels get low; it is possible the fuel pressure gets low, because it is not getting as much fuel through the system compared to when it is fully above the suction screen on the bottom of the fuel pump. You might test your fuel pressure and also, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? As time goes on; things like fuel pumps, age and lose their pumping ability. The pump may still work, the fuel filter isn't totally clogged but there is restriction or not as much pressure, compared to a new one. I just replaced the fuel pump and my fuel filter; I was amazed how smooth the engine was, after these both were swapped out with brand new parts! I think; on modern cars, parts seem to have the ability to run longer and not totally fail, some call this a "soft failure". The parts are still working but they are not working to the correct levels they should be; plus, with all the computer controls... our cars compensate for varying conditions (including worn out parts) and keep the car running as best it can. Because, these modern cars can do so much compensating; we may not realize, that certain parts are not up to the specs they should be... until they totally failure or "soft fail" enough that is affects our drivability experience in our every day use of the our cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered the fuel filter and will change it out during the week when it arrives. If that doesn't help I'll check the fuel pump next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts