NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is selling his R32 for a Mitsubisho Evo MR. His R was gobs of work done to it, but has 46k miles. He's offered it to me for $20k (his payoff). The car is mint in every way, and it's been stone reliable for him. I'm debating doing this because I can easily get that for my NB. It's a tough decision, and while I'm leaning towards doing it, I want some opinions.

The R has done to it:
AEM Intake w/bypass
EIP exhaust
Revo Stage3 w/sps
VF charger (stg1)
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
You;re thinking of getting rid of Jenna??!!!! :eek:
 

·
DIESL PWR
Joined
·
354 Posts
It's all about personal taste, e.g. what you want in a car. The R32 is a fantastic car for what it is intended.

Me, I would never even consider an R32. After all, any small car that gets less than 40 MPG by my standards is a gas hog, and I don't care how fast it is.
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CyberGreenBaby said:
You;re thinking of getting rid of Jenna??!!!! :eek:
Unfortunately, unless a miracle happens, I can have only one or the other. The R might be a VR6, but it can still pull 30mpg on the highway...and where I'll be moving to, I'll still have access to a NB. :)

I'm selling my 97 Jetta just in case this all goes through...
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
DONT DO IT!!!!! :cry:
 

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
Joined
·
2,816 Posts


:D ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
I'd do it. I don't know if I'd sell phrog to do it. I'd sell off my project car and liz's car to make it happen though. :p

Other then sentimental reasons; I see no reason NOT to do that.

It's an upgrade in every way really.

So from a practicality standpoint, I'd say do it.
 

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
My opinion is : don't do it....

The engine might be a thrill, but the exteriour surely isn't :rolleyes: ...

We are now already on the fifth generation of the golf....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,714 Posts
In a case like, I ask myself:

Will I regret it if I do?


~or~


Will I regret it if I don't?



If it were me, I would regret getting rid of a diesel bug. Best of luck to you.




(don't do it:( )
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
ohhh it's pretty..i actually like those alot but...not as pretty as Jenna!!!
 

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
Joined
·
502 Posts
wall u gotta think about it... its has a supercharger... so u know its be raged on. that would be my only worrie.
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a 90/10 chance I'm getting it. Was talking with the mother and while she hates the idea of me having such a quick car, she supports me, and she did mention that I had some bonds available...this could be fun.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
I wish I was in a position to purchase Jenna, as I really really need a diesel.. but I can't.

So: if you do, ensure she goes to a good home. I, for the life of me, can't understand why you'd subject yourself to a car that required premium gas (which will be over $4/avg by December) when you have a car that is capable of running off veggie oil for free [without power loss, at that].
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
kcfoxie said:
So: if you do, ensure she goes to a good home. I, for the life of me, can't understand why you'd subject yourself to a car that required premium gas (which will be over $4/avg by December) when you have a car that is capable of running off veggie oil for free [without power loss, at that].
AMEN!!
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK...a quick check of my bonds reveal somewhere around $4k. I can over borrow on the R by $4000. That leaves me with a $3000 hole (I owe $11k on Jenna). Looks like the 97 Jetta may have to get sold.

I got the insurance quote and I NEED Jenna to stay on for me to be able to afford the R because of the discounts.

So it's 90/10, but only if someone buys my Jetta by Monday...otherwise, he's getting 21k on a trade-in for the R and I lose my shot at it.

So basically, either I have both, or I keep Jenna.
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
Well as long as you keep Jenna either way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
The R would be a fun toy, I hope it can work out. But you really would be doing a foolish act to trade in a car that's got the best fuel economy of any car. In my area you could get $16k for Jenna as is because diesel is almost 60 cents cheaper per gallon and gets 22 miles more per agerage gallon.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top