NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A broken timing belt at hiway speed has enabled me to live out one of our worst fears...semi-toasted engine.
Instead of dropping three grand to repair the damage(thats the estimate if I have head damage only), I've decided I'm just going to find a low mileage long block.
My car is a 2000 NB GLX 1.8t with an APH engine. My question is...If I use my current components(turbo, fuel hook ups, electric harness...etc) do I have to use an APH long block?
I read yesterday that the 1.8t blocks are pretty much the same.
I would certainly have a bigger pool of engines to choose from(Ebay) if I don't HAVE to use an APH block.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
nope u dont halft to use a aph block.. i think fowvay is using a 225 short block on his aph...but how do u know the bottem end is toast... teh pistons might be fine... pull the head and see whats up give me pics... if the head is just trashed get a new one fron ebay.. 300 bucks... alot ceaper tehn a new block

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
APH has a sucky turbo. This might be an opportunity to step that up to a AWV or so motor. You'd need the ECU, instrument cluster, and wiring harness though.

But yes, they're for the most part interchangable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
^^ you say that like ALL stock 1.8t's DON'T have sucky turbos :D K03/K03s/K04-001 are all pretty much crap if you're really looking for power. For just f-in around and having a decently quick street car they're fine but i honestly think they spool too quickly, and we all know they run out of steam in the top end.

Anyways, pop the head off and check for damage to the pistons/cylinder walls. You can post pics here if you don't really know what you're looking for. Most times unless you're at WOT and high rpms the damage will be limited to the head.... if you're lucky ;) Then you can just get a junk head and save yourself some money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts