NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MR. VOCHO
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my car and had my stereo bumping like I always do when I clean my car (woofer pumping)... I must of had it on for about 1 hour with the car turned off, sudenly it the stereo started to come on and off then it just turned off. I could not start my car but there was power to the gauge cluster..... so I knew it was my battery.....

So I jumped started it and took it to Kragen to get checked out and they said that everything is fine....

It turns on and off alright... but I'm just concerned that it will leave me hanging somewhere.....

I have used that battery w/the stereo bumping so many times more than 2-3 hours and nothing ever happened....

So basically is my battery dying on me?

My car has about 50k on it and I believe its the original battery....

Do I need to replace it? Or did it get charged up again while running the car?

Thanx

Omar :)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
If it's the original VW battery, it should be good for 60 months...(5 years)...Did you happen to have your altenator checked to make sure it's charging and putting out the right voltage?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Did they load test the battery? That will tell you if its going to hold a charge.

Our factory battery lasted 5 years and 5 months - but most seem to only last about 3 years. I replaced with with an Optima red top so that I never have to worry about running it down using the stereo with it not running. I'd say its time to upgrade! ;)

·
MR. VOCHO
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no clue what they did.... load test? They just plugged some device to it and said it was fine that I must of drainned it with the stereo.

Also I don't know if its normal for the engine to make some type of ZZZZZZZZ noise from the alternator (I think its coming from there) when I turn off the car and it that noise stays there for like 5-6 minutes? It's done that since I bought the car ..... is that normal?

Optima red top how much are they?

·
Registered
867 Posts
SIX SPEED said:
I have no clue what they did.... load test? They just plugged some device to it and said it was fine that I must of drainned it with the stereo.

Also I don't know if its normal for the engine to make some type of ZZZZZZZZ noise from the alternator (I think its coming from there) when I turn off the car and it that noise stays there for like 5-6 minutes? It's done that since I bought the car ..... is that normal?

Optima red top how much are they?
Turbos have some kind of electric pump that runs for a few minutes after shutdown.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
The noise is one of the pumps running for cooling, it is normal.

I had the red top myself but now I am running the yellow top and waiting to cram a 200 amp alt in. Not sure what you are running for amps but I can ony get about30-45 mins out of mine before I have to grab the charger, but I love my music loud. I am running 2 RF T1 12s on a bd100pro.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
The Audi TT225 and all New Beetle 1.8Ts have a coolant after run pump. Due to the extremly tight engine compartment it allows the coolant to continue to cool down after shutting off.

While it does draw coolant thru the turbo it does nothing to cool the oil down in it. You still need to idle the car for a minute or two to prevent it from coking.

Now... the battery. This has been a known problem since about 1983. Stock VW batteries are utter crap. They are so bad in fact that VW has had to resort to using solar powered trickle chargers just so that dealers do not have to replace about 15% of the batteries that go dead (during the winter) just from being in transit.

They are appallingly bad. I am stunned, amazed and in shock that my stock battery is now 6 years old, sits for up to 6 weeks at a time with out being started and still passes a load test. I have been waiting for it to die for over 4.5 years now.

I sold my Mom a 1994 Golf during a record cold snap in January of 1994. Her Golf needed jumping just to get off the truck and the replacement battery died on the -21*f morning she took delivery. That third batterly lasted untill March. She then replaced it with an interstate battery that lasted for 9 years and over 200,000+ miles with out seeing a single day in a garage.

Tom aka Fowvay

·
MR. VOCHO
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fowvay said:
The Audi TT225 and all New Beetle 1.8Ts have a coolant after run pump. Due to the extremly tight engine compartment it allows the coolant to continue to cool down after shutting off.

While it does draw coolant thru the turbo it does nothing to cool the oil down in it. You still need to idle the car for a minute or two to prevent it from coking.

Now... the battery. This has been a known problem since about 1983. Stock VW batteries are utter crap. They are so bad in fact that VW has had to resort to using solar powered trickle chargers just so that dealers do not have to replace about 15% of the batteries that go dead (during the winter) just from being in transit.

They are appallingly bad. I am stunned, amazed and in shock that my stock battery is now 6 years old, sits for up to 6 weeks at a time with out being started and still passes a load test. I have been waiting for it to die for over 4.5 years now.

I sold my Mom a 1994 Golf during a record cold snap in January of 1994. Her Golf needed jumping just to get off the truck and the replacement battery died on the -21*f morning she took delivery. That third batterly lasted untill March. She then replaced it with an interstate battery that lasted for 9 years and over 200,000+ miles with out seeing a single day in a garage.

Tom aka Fowvay
Good info..... :D I might just get a new battery then since this one might leave me in the dust.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts