NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around a month ago I became the proud owner of a Beetle 1.8t. Drove it two days and check engine light came on with a misfire code...being a chick I don't know too much about cars but I did my research and found out it needed a new coil pack which I replaced myself. It was still doing the same thing....I drove to the parts store and purchased another coil pack and on my way home the temp light came on. I pulled over about 2 miles from my house...tried to let it cool down for a few mins then drove it home....the light stayed on. Pulled the code reader in and it was throwing a code having to do with the coolant sensor....bought one and had it replaced. Still over heating....more research..water pump. I bought a water pump and timing belt and took it to my mechanic. He called to let me know that he had taken the duct to the turbo off that it was full of oil. He said that may be the cause of it over heating and is waiting for me to let him know what I want to do with the car. So my question is...should I go ahead with the water pump and belt to see if thats the problem or replace turbo? Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Don't call me pumpkin...
221 Posts
You probably don't need a new turbo. The PCV system is very well known to suck a lot of oil into the intake. This is normal, but not necessarily... favorable. Most people have an in-line catch can installed to remedy this.

I would stay the course with what you're doing, and see what happens. If you could post up exactly what codes you've pulled, that may help us better diagnose your problem, instead of just throwing money at it. ;)

Not to say that what you've done so far is just "throwing money at it". What you've done so far is very good IMO. Timing belt likely needed to be replaced anyway, and if you've already replaced the CTS, then water pump would be next. Not to mention that it's a good idea to the the TB and WP at the same time and get it over with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not long after getting my o2 1.8 turbo the check engine light came on with the misfire code. It turned out to be the vacume line going to the Pcv valve was dry rotted and had broken. I also have oil in my intake tube but the car runs fine. The oil dosesn't hurt anything in my case.
Hope u get it figured out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts