NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im reading my book and it says I have to turn it clockwise while retracting but I dont remember doing that last time, is this tool necessary?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You must rotate the rear caliper pistons as there are pushed back into their bore. The parkng brake rotates them when used to push on the pads. If not rotated when pushed in you can damage the caliper parking brake mechanism and the caliper.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must rotate the rear caliper pistons as there are pushed back into their bore. The parkng brake rotates them when used to push on the pads. If not rotated when pushed in you can damage the caliper parking brake mechanism and the caliper.
Thanks for the info, I just went to Autozone and rented one.

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
there is also a little square tool with a few different sizes and patterns on it that hooks up to a 3/4" drive rachet for like $7 at napa.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
there is also a little square tool with a few different sizes and patterns on it that hooks up to a 3/4" drive rachet for like $7 at napa.
I bought one of those first but none of the sides matched my calipers, You can rent the big set from autozone

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
Not to try to thread jack but my parking break some times stick I have replaced the pasanger side caliper but not the driver side. Could this be my problem. Also I am trying to find how to adjust the parking break on the calipers. If any one could help that would be alsome thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When i did my rear brakes, I bent the small metal handle end on my C-Clamp trying to push it back in. Went to O'Reilly's put a deposit down and used their caliper tool set. OMG! Easy as it could be... screws the piston right in. The Deposit was $60 but Just bring it back and get ALL your money back.

HINT: When renting any tool, use CASH, otherwise if you use a credit/debit card it will take 3 days for the money to show back in your bank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts