NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Husker Fan Jim
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am the owner of a 1999 VW New Beetle. I love it even though people are telling me to "dump it." I refuse. It has issues and I knew that when I bought it so here are some questions to those experienced VW Mechanics ("Shade Tree" or otherwise)

I bought a Universal ODBII CAN Code Reader and the seller insists it will work with all German cars. Now having worked on cars for 40 years, we all know that working on VW's is usually more tricky than working on most other cars. I took it to a VW Dealer after the Engine Lite came on and he used a code reader to tell him that the Mass Airflow Sensor/Meter was not working right. I told them I would replace it myself. I did and everything went fine. I turned over the Engine to check the lite and it went out. Four days later I went out to use the car and the Engine lite came back on. It is doubtful the part would fail that fast. I noticed when I took off the electrical connector it had Electrolytic Grese on it. Could that be a potential problem? The pins on the connector were fine, but the plastic insulation around it was broken. Might that be it. Once the Code reader gets here I will use it to find out. Anyone have any ideas. Oh and do you think the Code Reader I bought will work? Thank you and I am a new member and this is my first post.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It will work but you can only retrieve and erase the ENGINE codes stored. Most of the time it won't be able to retrieve the ABS and airbag codes. There's a kind of a code reader designed for VW/Audi s and it can read and erase engine, trans, ABS and airbag codes. However I suggest you get a VAG-COM cable and work with your own laptop. The cable is much cheaper than the code reader(10-20 bucks on Ebay). Use your own laptop so you don't have to pay for that. All you have to get is a VCDS-Lite software which costs $99. But in this way you can get more info and make your work easier.

I am the owner of a 1999 VW New Beetle. I love it even though people are telling me to "dump it." I refuse. It has issues and I knew that when I bought it so here are some questions to those experienced VW Mechanics ("Shade Tree" or otherwise)

I bought a Universal ODBII CAN Code Reader and the seller insists it will work with all German cars. Now having worked on cars for 40 years, we all know that working on VW's is usually more tricky than working on most other cars. I took it to a VW Dealer after the Engine Lite came on and he used a code reader to tell him that the Mass Airflow Sensor/Meter was not working right. I told them I would replace it myself. I did and everything went fine. I turned over the Engine to check the lite and it went out. Four days later I went out to use the car and the Engine lite came back on. It is doubtful the part would fail that fast. I noticed when I took off the electrical connector it had Electrolytic Grese on it. Could that be a potential problem? The pins on the connector were fine, but the plastic insulation around it was broken. Might that be it. Once the Code reader gets here I will use it to find out. Anyone have any ideas. Oh and do you think the Code Reader I bought will work? Thank you and I am a new member and this is my first post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts