NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bring there dog into work? It's my last day as a civilian so I brought Bruno (my youngest fid) into work with me. He's all curled up in the middle of my office.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
73standard said:
Bring there dog into work? It's my last day as a civilian so I brought Bruno (my youngest fid) into work with me. He's all curled up in the middle of my office.
Last day as a civilian?? Are you going somewhere or is your status just changing ?

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
I worked in a couple offices where this was common practice.
Didn't like it, but they were my boss - so I had to act like it was normal or okay. Despite the fact that the landlord told them they couldn't - he still snuck it up the back stairway often.

It was a big black lab that enjoyed slobbering on my leg while I worked and his farts...well:rolleyes: Boy am I glad I left that job!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i LOVE dogs, but don't think they should be allowed in the workplace unless everyone around is 100% OK with it. personally, i am severely allergic and every time i see a dog, i want to pet the heck out it. i usually do and am left with hives and my breathing being constricted. however, even if i don't touch the dog, the dander and fur get in the air and causes me problems.

gawd, i do love dogs though. it's such a curse to be allergic!

·
ACVW Chick
324 Posts
The owner of my company brings his Boxer to work all the time. When I started working here, he brought Chester in and I was thinking "Wha?". Then he had "Chester's Open House" and told everyone they could bring their dogs into work that day. This was all in the first week of me working here.

I brought our dog to work when we first got him. He was 6 weeks old at the time. He came to work with me for 2 weeks. Everyone loved him being here.

·
18,312 Posts
callisto9 said:
i LOVE dogs, but don't think they should be allowed in the workplace unless everyone around is 100% OK with it. personally, i am severely allergic and every time i see a dog, i want to pet the heck out it. i usually do and am left with hives and my breathing being constricted. however, even if i don't touch the dog, the dander and fur get in the air and causes me problems.

gawd, i do love dogs though. it's such a curse to be allergic!
I swear Erin! I am the same way! I'm not as severely allergic but I'm allergic. We have bomb sniffing dogs here at work and when the handlers bring them out we're allowed to pet them if we ask 1st. If theyre working we have to stay away. If we are allowed I'm petting like crazy and I usually forget to go and wash my hands and if I touch my eyes forget it! I also get hives if i touch my face or neck..but i always gets hives on my hands from petting them.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
We used to be allowed to bring our dogs. Then somone (who ended up being fired) decided they didn't like this one persons dog, and as a result all dogs were banned from the workplace.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
I swear Erin! I am the same way! I'm not as severely allergic but I'm allergic.
wait, don't you have a dog?

i think dogs in the workplace would make it kinda smelly after awhile, too. there is definitely a smell to dogs and when they're around, there's an odor.

·
18,312 Posts
callisto9 said:
wait, don't you have a dog?

i think dogs in the workplace would make it kinda smelly after awhile, too. there is definitely a smell to dogs and when they're around, there's an odor.
Yeah i have a dog..he's pretty small. And I wash him once a month and rinse him once a week and it helps alot. I also vacuum everyday and keep him off my couch. Once in a while he sneaks a few kisses in and i break out in a few hives but other than that its been ok. I also use that stuff that you spray all over the place to cut down on allergens.

·
Keep the Faith
33 Posts
my co-worker brought in his golden retriever once and he peed outside my boss' office. needless to say, dogs aren't allowed in our office now. :(

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
My previous employer (Autodesk) has been encouraging people to bring their dogs into work for the past twenty years, Of course they have several policies about owners responsibilities... Here is an excerpt from an article about the policy..

The Autodesk Pet Policy

Autodesk has welcomed employees' pets since its start in 1982. A visit to the company's web site shows how much pride Autodesk takes in offering this benefit: the "Autodesk Culture" page sports a picture of a Dalmatian sitting in an office chair. The policy extends mainly to dogs, although cats and even iguanas have reportedly spent time at the company.
"The ability to bring a dog to Autodesk is a unique part of our culture," confirms Autodesk spokesperson Kathy Tom Engle. "In the tradition of high-tech startups, the company had some aspects that made it unique. Allowing employees to bring their pets was one of those unique elements that remain with us today."
Employees who bring their pets to Autodesk must follow certain rules. Dogs must be leashed and need to stay with their owner or designated pet sitter at all times. Off-limits areas include bathrooms and company cafeterias; dogs with fleas aren't allowed at the company at all. The same goes for dogs that bark or behave aggressively. Dog-owning Autodesk employees are expected to clean up after their dogs inside and outside the buildings, although, as evidence of the company's pet friendliness, all receptionists keep doggy bags on hand to help unprepared owners with outdoor cleanups. In addition, a dog that has three indoor accidents isn't allowed to come to the office until the owner can show that the animal has completed a training program.
Kathy Tom Engle says that employees are very good about following the rules. "The dog owners are a self-policing group," she explains. "They know the benefit can be taken away at any time there are complaints or problems with the dogs. For this reason, everyone is very conscientious."
"There is no barking in the office," Tom Engle adds. "On any given day, you could walk into our facilities and never know there are pets there. Owners with dogs that bark simply do not test the policy by bringing in their pets. They don't want to ruin it for everyone else. The same applies to all the rules."
The Autodesk pet policy can even prompt employees to acquire pets for the first time. That happened to Catherine Crosbie, a software engineer who's worked at Autodesk for four years.
"I wasn't aware of the policy before I came here," Crosbie says. "In fact, I didn't have a dog. But after being here for two years, I decided I just had to get one."
Today, Crosbie's two-year-old smooth-haired fox terrier, Kaya, joins her human companion at the office at least once a week. There, Kaya sleeps in her own bed under Crosbie's desk. Crosbie takes Kaya out for a bathroom break every couple of hours; at lunch, the two enjoy 10 to 15 minutes of ball playing.
Having Kaya at the office brings pleasure not only to Crosbie but also to Crosbie's co-workers. "My co-workers wonder where Kaya is if I don't bring her in. Many people here don't have dogs and get their 'fix' by playing with the dogs at work."
Kathy Tom Engle is one of those employees who enjoys getting a doggie fix. "I don't have a pet," she says, "but my colleague across the hall has a puppy. It is great to have him here, and to be honest, we miss him when he doesn't come. Visitors come by just to pet the puppy and play a little bit."
Source: http://www.deltasociety.org/TextOnly/AnimalsHealthCompanionBonds.htm

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
CrazyJames said:
My previous employer (Autodesk) has been encouraging people to bring their dogs into work for the past twenty years, Of course they have several policies about owners responsibilities... Here is an excerpt from an article about the policy..

Source: http://www.deltasociety.org/TextOnly/AnimalsHealthCompanionBonds.htm
what about people with allergies? if my cubicle-mate was allowed to bring her cats in, i couldn't work here! just curious how allergies play into this.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Of course everyone says that they like your dog...it's called being polite.

I never told my boss or co-workers at the second office where dogs were allowed on the weekends that I couldn't stand them bringing in their animals to work. I understood that if they were working on the weekend that it was better than leaving them at home, but the same thing happened at the second place that happened at Boodah's workplace - a nice big pile behind my bosses desk.:rolleyes: Thanks!

I'd love to bring my Casper (cat) to work with me because she would sleep right next to me and not bark at anything...but until I get an office of my own or work out of my house...my animal stays at home.

·
ACVW Chick
324 Posts
Being that I have my own office, and had him closed in, not running free, it wasn't a problem where I worked. If someone wanted to see him, they had to come to us. Obviously the allergy thing isn't an issue, because the owner brings his dog everyday. So in my case, no. It wasn't that they were just "being polite".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts