NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Does having a tat post a positive image?

• YES

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • No option

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
There's a fine line between a positive image, and trashy.

I really think that cute animal tats on chicks are not cute, I think they're trashy.

But, tribal symbols, etc are cool, but make sure they can be hidden if you ever get into a professional career, and not just able to be hidden, but would be hidden even if they weren't there, like on your back, upper arm, upper leg, ass, back, whatever.

Just my $0.02

SMG

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
PhoenixRising said:
Sure, the image has a lot to do with it being positive. I mean, a skull and crossbones maybe not the most positive thing...
Yeah, but nothing says "I LOVE YOU MOM" like a heart with a dagger stabbed into it!:D

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
I mentioned in another thread, my oldest brother who is 39 (but doesn't look it!!) has over $5000 in professionally done tattoos which he has had done in the states, and over in the U.K. He's a great guy whos extremely easy to get along with, and wouldn't hurt anyone.....but I have noticed alot of people look down on him and misjudge him because of his piercings and tats. Even my Fiance' was scared of him when she first met him. I think tat's and piercings can give a bad image depending on what it is, how many you have, and how the person viewing it feels about tat's....

People with tattoos and piercings are still people.....they're just more colorful!!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
n2vdubz said:
People with tattoos and piercings are still people.....they're just more colorful!!
agreed! my good friend marck was working on tattooing (sp?) his whole body before he passed away in 2004. to him, it was like collecting something. all his tattos meant something and most were done by friends of his who worked in the industry. there would have been jobs in his life that may not have hired him due to all the markings, but he was well aware of this and wasn't the professional type anyhow. just make sure you're aware of the career repercussions if you want to put tattoos in places people can see them!

i've never had a problem with tattoos or piercings at all, since a lot of my friends have had one the other or both. to me, piercing a nose is no different that piercing an ear. and tattoos are just a form of expression, much like jewelry or clothing.

i know i am going to offend someone with this, but here goes. i think most tattoos are tacky and far too generic. well, the ones i've seen people have anyway. however, let me preface all this by saying i don't care what anyone does with their body; it's your business and your skin, i really don't care. but most of the ones i see are just...i don't know. generic. especially so for girls, it seems. and then some of them are just plain trashy. but again, to each his/her own. nowadays, people are all about celtic symbols (sorry spiru - yours does look amazing!)..awhile back it was all about chinese lettering...before that...dolphins, flowers, butterflies and yingyangs. chinese lettering may look cool and all and i guess if you want to get something that just looks cool...fine by me. but i bet a lot of people with chinese lettering tattoos just studied it enough to know what their tattoo means and really know nothing about chinese history or culture.

i should probably stop now before someone verbally assaults me.

in summary: i have no problems with what anyone wants to do with their body. your body, your choice. :) as for it projecting a positive or negative image...i think that depends on the person and the tattoo!

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Theres no such thing as a professional career, people who feel unsecure wear fancy suits or tattoos to try to intimidate others because they are unsecure about their own selves. when you see one you don't know, just treat them like like you would treat anybody else you hang out with. If you show them the fear they are expecting to see from people you are just giving them them power to continue their scharade.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
gilligan said:
Theres no such thing as a professional career, people who feel unsecure wear fancy suits or tattoos to try to intimidate others because they are unsecure about their own selves. when you see one you don't know, just treat them like like you would treat anybody else you hang out with. If you show them the fear they are expecting to see from people you are just giving them them power to continue their scharade.
That response is all over the map. I've read it 3 times and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say. "No such thing as a professional career"? What does that mean? You're equating tattoos to business suits?? And everyone who wears a tattoo is out to intimidate people??

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
gilligan said:
Are ya saying that some people's method of intimidation is a suit and others is ink? I can sort of see that, but i don't so much think that's the majority. Tattoos are reminders. Symbolic. Tributes. A suit will impress, make you stand out, get ya chiks. If that's your point, i agree.

Oh but dude...INsecure and CHarades. Sorry, pet peave.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
i sorta knew that if i got tatted in a more visible area that i would be quite possibly condeming myself from ever getting a really good job. so with that said, i got tatted on my forearm. very visible and i don't care.

so what if i never get a CEO job... i'm happy with the decisions i've made.

i can't work at disneyland though. :( they don't allow workers with tattoos.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
and as a response to the poll... i strongly believe that question is too broad. i think tattoos and body modifications are becoming more and more accepted in some places vs. others.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i'll never be a CEO either, but that's for a myraid of reasons. :D if i were to get a tattoo, i'd opt for the ankle. this is a big IF.

i can see where disneyland wouldn't allow people with tattoos to work there, but it's unfortunate, in a way.

i agree that the question is too broad, too! having a tattoo or not makes no impact on how i see a person. how MANY they have and what KIND they have might, but i'd rather get to know the person first. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
From my perspective, personally, and as an employer, tattoos do not provoke a positive image. My business has clients of all types and I treasure them all, but we work with many conservatives either in profession or philosophic thinking, that there is no way I could hire an employee who's tattoo is out there for public display. It's one thing for it to be placed where it is easily covered up by clothing, but those on the neck, arm, and any other part of the body that is not concealable would NEVER be considered for employment. It may be someone's right to do what they want, but its also my right to hire whom I want to best represent my company.....and I'm far from alone in this thinking. Of course, I work in a white collar industry. In blue collar industries, this is a much different story. Granted, some tattoos do tell a story, but some also reflect an attitude. Its just not my cup of tea! Same attitude applies to body piercings as well.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
larryziegler said:
From my perspective, personally, and as an employer, tattoos do not provoke a positive image. My business has clients of all types and I treasure them all, but we work with many conservatives either in profession or philosophic thinking, that there is no way I could hire an employee who's tattoo is out there for public display. It's one thing for it to be placed where it is easily covered up by clothing, but those on the neck, arm, and any other part of the body that is not concealable would NEVER be considered for employment. It may be someone's right to do what they want, but its also my right to hire whom I want to best represent my company.....and I'm far from alone in this thinking. Of course, I work in a white collar industry. In blue collar industries, this is a much different story. Granted, some tattoos do tell a story, but some also reflect an attitude. Its just not my cup of tea!
and it's that sort of thinking that keeps great minds with tattoos out of good work.

i understand where you are coming from, but i guess that "view" is getting old.

sorta like guys back in the 60s with long hair. each generation has their thing, i guess. welcome to the 21st century, let's open up some minds.

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
My brother (with the tat's and piercings) went for a job interview a few weeks ago. He had taken out his ear rings to look a little more presentable for the job he applied for. My Bro' mentioned to the interviwer that he figured they may want to keep him hidden in the back room if he was hired because customers may get offended by how he looks...

Surprisingly enough, the interviwer said to him:

"We're the ones hiring you, not them. If they don't like your appearance, that's their fault!"

He was shocked to hear that, but we both thought it was pretty cool that they had that attitude about workers with piercings and tattoos.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
larryziegler said:
From my perspective, personally, and as an employer, tattoos do not provoke a positive image. My business has clients of all types and I treasure them all, but we work with many conservatives either in profession or philosophic thinking, that there is no way I could hire an employee who's tattoo is out there for public display. It's one thing for it to be placed where it is easily covered up by clothing, but those on the neck, arm, and any other part of the body that is not concealable would NEVER be considered for employment. It may be someone's right to do what they want, but its also my right to hire whom I want to best represent my company.....and I'm far from alone in this thinking. Of course, I work in a white collar industry. In blue collar industries, this is a much different story. Granted, some tattoos do tell a story, but some also reflect an attitude. Its just not my cup of tea!
Yep and when you white collar workers put us blue collars out of work I'm gonna throw mud on your suit when you walk by me on your way to work because your car quit running and we didn't build you a new one!!!!! of course you wont be walking very far because the blue collar workers didn't grow you anything to eat either. as a matter of fact this country needs white collar workers as much as we need lawyers, politicians and the other assorted cockroaches that keep this country going down hill like it is.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
gilligan said:
Yep and when you white collar workers put us blue collars out of work I'm gonna throw mud on your suit when you walk by me on your way to work because your car quit running and we didn't build you a new one!!!!!
:lol: classic

1 - 20 of 116 Posts