NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bus stop where I drive my '02 Beetle each morning is less than a mile from home. The blue temperature light doesn't even turn off before my arrival. In this cold Sacramento weather (30-40 degrees), am I hurting the engine by shutting it off before it has a chance to warm up? Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
The bus stop where I drive my '02 Beetle each morning is less than a mile from home. The blue temperature light doesn't even turn off before my arrival. In this cold Sacramento weather (30-40 degrees), am I hurting the engine by shutting it off before it has a chance to warm up? Thanks for your input.
Do up drive it one weekends when you are not going to work?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I personally would not be too concerned unless it is a diesel. I would also run synthetic (I do anyway) and would consider doing your oil changes based on time as opposed to miles, as in change it least every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Make darn sure your thermostat is working and has not soft failed. The 1.8t are known for oil pick up clogging with carbon like deposits, not sludge as we know it.

You cannot relay on the ECU to warn you of thermostat failures, you can only verify this by a scan tool that reads real time data. These cars should run 200-205F when fully warmed up in the colder Winter temps.

Do not fall into the trap that the only thing that you need to worry about is the temp sensors in these car.

Also if you have an automatic transmission it will also appreciate a properly operation thermostat as well.

What I would be worried about is cooking off excess moisture and fuel in the crankcase. Even if you drive on the weekends, if the engine is running too cold, you may not get the oil and crankcase up to temperature.

Trust me on this, the springs start to weaken on thermostats and I do not trust most of them after about 4 years. I have seen some designed have a hard time lasting 2 years.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
You're definitely not doing it any favours. There will be more condensation in the engine and exhaust system. You should change your oil frequently with this type of use. How about riding your bike or walking to the bus?

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Make darn sure your thermostat is working and has not soft failed. The 1.8t are known for oil pick up clogging with carbon like deposits, not sludge as we know it.

You cannot relay on the ECU to warn you of thermostat failures, you can only verify this by a scan tool that reads real time data. These cars should run 200-205F when fully warmed up in the colder Winter temps.

Do not fall into the trap that the only thing that you need to worry about is the temp sensors in these car.

Also if you have an automatic transmission it will also appreciate a properly operation thermostat as well.

What I would be worried about is cooking off excess moisture and fuel in the crankcase. Even if you drive on the weekends, if the engine is running too cold, you may not get the oil and crankcase up to temperature.

Trust me on this, the springs start to weaken on thermostats and I do not trust most of them after about 4 years. I have seen some designed have a hard time lasting 2 years.
How many miles are on your Beetle? Given its age, have you had the thermostat replaced? If not, you should do it soonest, along with the water pump and timing belt if not already done. Are you putting full synthetic oil in her?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How many miles are on your Beetle? Given its age, have you had the thermostat replaced? If not, you should do it soonest, along with the water pump and timing belt if not already done. Are you putting full synthetic oil in her?
Not sure why you are quoting my post, but to answer your question 75k miles and for repairs/maintenance all of of the above, and plenty more, have been addressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts