NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly question, but I just want to make sure I get the right oil pan for my car without having to take it apart to check. How do I know if I have an oil sensor or not? I don't have an oil level gauge however I do have a light that will come on if my oil is low. My car is a year 2000 auto trans gls I believe since it has power windows, cd player and whatnot. If there is any info that I'm leaving out please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate some help on this issue. Thanks :)

·
75 year old car nut
93 Posts
oil pan????

First, which oil pan????
Engine has a thing called a "dip stick".
Transmission has no "dip stick", and if you need this one,
just order it by your vin #.
Earl

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This may be a silly question, but I just want to make sure I get the right oil pan for my car without having to take it apart to check. How do I know if I have an oil sensor or not? I don't have an oil level gauge however I do have a light that will come on if my oil is low. My car is a year 2000 auto trans gls I believe since it has power windows, cd player and whatnot. If there is any info that I'm leaving out please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate some help on this issue. Thanks :)
Update #1: You don't say where you are located; If your on this side of the pond continue reading, if your not, ignore this post and go to Post #2
Update #2: simonsi got me worried (see next post) that I had mis-read something, so I went and double checked toe '00 Owner's Manual. Apparently this IS different on the other side of the pond, but for NA market models, there is not a separate indicator or warning light or warning light method indicated in the Owner's Manual. I have posted the clip from the Owners Manual below. NOW, that said, I have to caution that there may, in fact, be an oil level sensor, that we are not being told about, based on the wording in the manual, indicating that the first thing to do is check the oil level and add oil if necessary. Although I have reviewed the Bentley and find no mention of such sensor. As with most parts, always best to check with any VW Dealer Parts Dept for the specific part that was manufactured into you specific car. This is looked up by VIN.

No, you do not have an oil level sensor. So cars are equipped with this feature, the NB is not. The warning light in the instrument cluster is for oil pressure, not oil level, IF it does come on because of oil level (so low you oil pressure drops enogh to trip the warning, you have probably all ready done damge from lack of sufficient oil. VW recommends you check the oil at every fuel fill-up. If that light ever does come on, you need to stop driving the car immediately. Since you had this misconception, as many people do, I suggest you get out your Owner's Manual and read it, cover to cover. Might just save you a very expensive repair bill. Lacking an Owner's Manual, go here for basic information relevant to your model year.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html
There are three printable .pdf's in Post #2 that pertain to your year specifically, including the instrument cluster indicators and warning

I also have a '00 Owner's Manual available here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html

Sorry, but not sure what your asking or trying to say with the power windows, cd player, and whatnot.portion of your post.

MORAV

Attachments

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Think this is market specific, my UK spec 2000 DOES have a level sensor, the oil light flashes yellow for level, red for pressure. Sensor for level is in the sump, centre rear on the bottom face, you can see/feel it on the outside, can't miss it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Think this is market specific, my UK spec 2000 DOES have a level sensor, the oil light flashes yellow for level, red for pressure. Sensor for level is in the sump, centre rear on the bottom face, you can see/feel it on the outside, can't miss it.
I'm must assume that you are right about being market specific, but you got me concerned I was giving out bad information. Re-read the '00 NA market OM and found no mention of what you have indicated, however the wording has put a slight doubt in my mind and I have attempted to cover this with an update in that post.

With that said, I'm wondering why VW would have added (this feature) for your martket or deleted for ours, and I'm wondering if the sensor is, in fact, there, and operational, and it's just not mentioned, because as lazy as Americans have become there was concern that "we" would depend on this for correct oil level and never manually check the oil.

I did check the paper Bentley and find no mention of such a sensor.

Also, the original poster failed to indicate on which side of the pond they are, so I have addressed that.

Thanks for your input!

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
My 2001 flashed red when it had no oil in.

Have you ever seen it flash yellow :confused: :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

As with the '00 (OM clip posted above), on the NA market, '01 bugs, flashing in RED indicates low oil pressure, not low oil level, UNLESS the oil is in fact very low (which would it stands to reason cause the oil pressure to drop). You indicated you had NO oil in the engine, so that would make sense.

Apparently, as stated in simonsi's post above the other markets (at least down under,), DO flash two different colors (RED and YELLOW). This is perfectly conceivable, just as the temperature indicator will illuminate in blue or red, and he has identified the oil level sensor on the oil pan. Which is the same way the install sensors on other cars that have this feature in the American market.

M.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts

Low oil level will, if low enough, cause air to be drawn into the pump which would cause the low oil pressure warning you saw.

Yes I have seen it but more importantly it is in the VW manual for the car, clearly explained AND there is a thumping great sensor in the base of the oil pan.

I have no idea why it would be deleted from the US market, perhaps fear of liability if it failed and the driver didn't check so caused engine damage???

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Low oil level will, if low enough, cause air to be drawn into the pump which would cause the low oil pressure warning you saw.

Yes I have seen it but more importantly it is in the VW manual for the car, clearly explained AND there is a thumping great sensor in the base of the oil pan.

I have no idea why it would be deleted from the US market, perhaps fear of liability if it failed and the driver didn't check so caused engine damage???
We brought the car down with us, it is UK-market originally.
Mine was a UK Bug :)

Just read a few threads on the UK forums about the flashing Yellow light and nobody has ever seen it :lol:

When my sump was cracked and lost all the oil i'd of thought i'd of seen the flashing yellow before the flashing red. Just checked and is also in the handbook as flashing yellow. Not arguing :) Just confused :) Hey Ho :)

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Mine was a UK Bug :)

Just read a few threads on the UK forums about the flashing Yellow light and nobody has ever seen it :lol:

When my sump was cracked and lost all the oil i'd of thought i'd of seen the flashing yellow before the flashing red. Just checked and is also in the handbook as flashing yellow. Not arguing :) Just confused :) Hey Ho :)
Mine comes on yellow when just below the min on the dipstick, they seem easily gummed up though so probably not hugely reliable in any case :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts