NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 new beetle convertible

Currently have a maxi cosi infant car seat behind the passenger seat.
Going to need to get a rear facing convertible soon.
Looking at the Radian seats because they are allowed to brace against the front seats if the car allows it.

I don't have the manual for my car.
Could someone check to see if it says anything about people or objects in the back pushing or bracing against the front passenger seat.
It will probably be in the airbag section of the manual

Thanks so much

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cannot answer your question directly at the moment as the owners manual is in the car which is not here.

But because the seat is designed to flip forward, I recall that the seat should not be pushed forward for easy unlatching.

I can tell you I am 5'10" and had my son in a forward facing car seat in the back of out 2003 NB Convertible and I was AMAZED that I could flip the passenger seat forward, allow it to slide and then stand, stooped over slightly in the rear floor and easily buckle a 5 point harness on his seat out of the weather.

These are NOT small cars, as much interior room as my full size GMC truck.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm sure you are aware that the front seats likely have airbags in them. No sure if all models do, or how that plays into what you are trying to do, but just thought if pass it along.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I've had no problem with a front facing car seat in it for another child, but my baby is only 4 months old and will be rear facing until at least 2 years old. He will likely outgrow the removable infant carrier seat in the next couple of months and will need a larger rear facing car seat.

Car seats that allow for extended rear facing are rather long when rear facing due to the reclined angle on them.
Radian car seats allow themselves to brace (touch) the passenger or drivers seat so long as the car manual also allows it.

When I bought my car it unfortunately did not come with the manual :(
Thanks for your advice and if y get the chance to look that up in the manual when the car is back with you I would be extremely grateful

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The only thing is my manual is for a 2003 model, there is nothing really different than the 2005, but you will need to check as I recall the seats may have side airbags in them?

But also I would doubt that in 2003-2005 there were any rear facing seats that brace against the rear of the front seat anyway. So there may be no comments in the manual about this??

Granted by 2003 my son was 4 years old by the time we purchased our car he was in a front facing car seat, so maybe I missed this style of rear facing infant seat.

I will try to check the manual, but it is in the car and I will not have access to it until later today/tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts