NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud new owner of a gorgeous 2008 NBC. I love driving with the top down, but I don't like to leave it parked that way. If I could, I'd love to put the top down pretty much every time I get in the car, and put it back up again every time I get out. Would this damage the putting-the-top-up-and-down mechanism? How about, putting it up and down twice a day? Once a day? Any ideas? How sturdy is it?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
As with anything mechanical, things do ultimately wear out. However, when the car was new, the top was warranted along with the rest of the car, and warranted with no limit on how many times the top was put up and down. :)
If your top is down a lot, and your have leather seats (not leatherette), your going to want to keep the leather clean and well conditioned. Even if you have leather seats, your door panels are not.

I wouldn't want to leave mine parked with the top down for any length of time (talking days not hours), and I'm cautious about parking under trees and the potential for rain. I also don't like to leave it parked in the direct sunlight during the heat of the day. Ultraviolet light does more damage to an interior than anything else, well, except water (lol).

My take, you bought a convertible, use it!

M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer! You're right, I worry about rain, bird poop, UV light, etc (I think I have leatherETTE seats - is that more impervious to UV than real leather?). But I do a lot of errands and putting it up and down more than 2 or 3 times a day seems excessive. Also, my warranty runs out in December (though there is an extended warranty that I'm getting transferred), so I don't want to wear anything out too fast!

·
2004 NB Vert Original Own
9 Posts
You should not have a problem retracting your roof on a daily basis. Even twice a day will not hurt it. Try to make sure you are on a level surface when opening and closing the roof. If you are on a big, steep incline or decline and you open the roof, it puts more stress on the system.
I've had my New Beetle Convertible for almost 10 years, it is a 2004 model year. No major problems.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a mechanic I cannot help but believe that the more you use something the sooner it
will break, but I would not let that stop you from enjoying your cabrio.

My daughter has an 03 cabrio and i used to have a BMW 3 series cabrio. If the weather is nice with no chance of rain we just leave the top down. I recommend keeping the glove box and arm rest locked, and getting into the habit of leaving loose items in the trunk. But my experience has been that if there is nothing left in the open, nothing will be messed with. Obviously there are places I would not do this, and if its parked all day at work, I would put the top up. But I never had any problems.

Re'

·
2004 NB Vert Original Own
9 Posts
One other tip from a long time NBC owner (since 2004). About once every two years I put a small amount of white lithium grease on all the moving joints of the convertible roof. It's an inexpensive and easy method to keep the roof system and moving joints and parts trouble free. If you simply retract the roof about half way and stop it by turning off the power, you will see all of the joints and moving parts that need lubrication. I have found that White lithium grease works best.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
hockeyman41, would you mind taking a picture; posting it up and pointing out the lube points? I bet; that would be a helpful and positive contribution, for other convertible owners here. Some people are more mechanically inclined, then others; I'm sure a picture and info would be helpful to other NBC people here! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
top down

Living in Florida, we ride with the top down a lot. That said, we put it up a lot too. Rarely leaving it down when the car is parked for any length of time. It is an '06 and we have replaced the fabric top once. There are a lot of moving parts in the frame and I try to keep all of the joints lubricated with a silicone spray. So far tho the motor that puts the top up and down has worked just fine. .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts