NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to purchase a used bug for our daughter. We have narrowed it down to three cars, two 5 speeds and one auto. I've been reading this forum and some on Edmonds and have become very concerned with getting an auto trans car. The extended vw warranty covered 2003 and later, so I'm wondering if 2002s have the same problems with automatic transmissions. The auto is a 2002 1.8t GLS yellow color select. Does any one have an opinion on auto bugs in 2002?

Thanks

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Yes they do. Get the 5-speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. We are going to look at one of the manuals tomorrow. We are having trouble finding what we want in NC and might have to look in VA.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Where abouts are you in NC?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Raleigh. We are going to Fayetteville today to look at two bugs.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I'm in Raleigh as well. If you need a good shop to work on the bug or inspect it (if you find one locally), let me know.

I will say one thing. Its not ideal, but if you do find an auto that you otherwise like, you can put some money aside for a manual swap. I know someone on here paid $2500 for the entire swap (parts and all), which is a good half the price of an auto replacement. But these VW autos are not really very good.

I've had my car for over 6 years now and its been great...its a 2.0 5-speed with almost 102k on it. There are some good cars out there for sure.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Also, looks like an older posting so it could be gone but here is one in Sanford: 99 vw new beetle for sale

They want wayyyy too much for it IMO but its pretty low miles and a 5-speed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 5-speed NB around here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts