NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am progressively upgrading / replacing / repairing the suspension components on my bug. I have read about the benefits of an upgraded dogbone insert and before I buy anything I need to clarify something; pretty much everything I find online says that upgraded dogbone inserts help with wheel hop significantly, but all of them cause excessive vibration. So does the vibration go away with time as the poly inserts seat and 'wear in' or are you stuck with the teeth rattling?

Thanks,
Chef

·
Registered
205 Posts
Vibration never goes away. Wife hated it and it felt like the car would fall apart. Also, it you have the extra large oil filter (TDI) it runs really close to the radiator fans, really close.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Was it an OEM style (like that of ECS) or was it a machined dog mount (like that of VF Engineering). Also, what was the durometer of the poly bushing?

I'm going to do this upgrade soon and want input on hardware/vibration results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
Another option is the BFI DBM inserts; they are cheaper and they have different durometers, yellow being the softest. There is always going to be a comfort/vibration/noise vs. performance trade off; when you start putting performance mounts on your car. Allot of the reviews; on vwvortex, claim that they do "break in" and get quieter. The inserts don't cost that much and if you don't like them; you can just switch back to the stock rubber insert. I will say; I had these in a automatic Jetta 1.8T; the vibration in the dash with the a/c on, was pretty annoying (most pronounced vibration, at a stop light in drive; switch to neutral and vibration would be more bearable, load being the main thing), switched back to stock (bought the $10 oem inserts from BFI) and the sound went away (the stock inserts were destroyed). I don't think we had them in the car long enough to "break in" or they maybe were just loud, period. :) Everyone, has their own sense of what "too loud" is; probably, just have to try them out and see if they work for you! The Jetta we had them in was a auto; daily driver, that was for sale... so, the stock setup was the way to go and the BFI seemed "too loud" for that application.

ENGINE PERFORMANCE

I will say; the 034 idea of using rubber; does seem to make better sense, then poly, again... I think one would have to try them out to know for sure if they were work for you and you could bear the increased noise/vibration. The new 034Motorsport Billet Dogbone Mount; looks tasty! You can read reviews about it here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Billet-Dogbone-Mount-MkIV-Volkswagen-1-8T-***

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
I've noticed the same thing; I haven't purchased any of their branded products, vwvortex does seem to have quite a bit complaints on the stuff they make and engineer in house (mounts, strut mounts etc.). I don't have any personal experience myself but it does make you wonder. I was in the bay area on vacation and I actually went to down there and checked out their shop; nice guys and I was given a tour of their facilities. I ended up purchasing a SouthBend clutch and stock audi TT LCA solid bushings from them. Again, I don't have any experience with their brand of motor/trans mounts; the new billet version looks like a nice product, however... as long as you could put up with the noise. I guess; just like all the others, you don't know until you try it out yourself...

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
I don't have a clue but on vwvortex, there seems to be more info and pics of broken dog bones there; you might post this question, in the 1.8T engine forum (vwvortex tends to cater to the tuning/performance crowd). When it comes to the aftermarket mounts; I would just start contacting the manufacturers/vendors, ask them what kind of performance, they can handle. If your going to have your 01M done by IPT:

VW and Volkswagen | High Performance Automatic Transmissions | Racing Transmission

I would think; they would be a good source to ask about your mounts and what they would recommend, as well. Again, it sounds like you are trying to find a balance; between handling power and being quiet, possibly a balance that maybe hard to achieve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts