NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
It's what the people want
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 GLS 2.0l has been having slight misfire / rough cold start issues, so given the age I've decided to do a coil and ignition wire swap (already had my mechanic do spark plugs about six months ago, things got better but not 100%).

I know very little about watercooled VWs - when I get in the mood to tinker, I play with my 1971 aircooled bug. A few questions:

1. The New Beetle has four ignition coils, right? I'm used to a single ignition coil like on my aircooled.

2. Anybody got any pictures & instructions on how to do the swap? It should just be plug-and-go, but I'm a little wary. Literally I just don't even know where to find all the bits and pieces I'm changing out (obviously I can find the wires if I remove the intake cover, but I just have no idea what I'm looking at under there).

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you are changing wires too, be sure to use dielectric silicone on the plug boots and on the coil ends to help seal out moisture.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have not done a coil pack, i've done wires twice ('98 & '05 2.0s). I did them withou any special tool other than long needle nose pliers and did not remove the intake. New plugs & wires made a definite difference on the '05 at 80,000 miles. Next time, i will do them earlier, looking back the issues started appearing around 72,000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts