NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the timing belt and water pump today. My buddy who has a 2.0 golf is helping me out. We did the timing belt and water pump on his car a couple weeks back. It was certainly a learning experience, but we did it.

I was wondering if there are any beetle specific tips or advice for doing this job. It's not the biggest space in the world to work so are there any clearance issues I should be aware of, like with the motor mounts or anything like that?

Wish me luck!

Also doing a sway bar install if we get around to it. Tips on that??

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Doing the timing belt and water pump today. My buddy who has a 2.0 golf is helping me out. We did the timing belt and water pump on his car a couple weeks back. It was certainly a learning experience, but we did it.

I was wondering if there are any beetle specific tips or advice for doing this job. It's not the biggest space in the world to work so are there any clearance issues I should be aware of, like with the motor mounts or anything like that?

Wish me luck!

Also doing a sway bar install if we get around to it. Tips on that??
Good luck!

Ill keep an eye out on the board today if you have any questions, the only beetle specific thing I can think of is the motor mount being a little hard to get off, if you drop the engine down and then have your buddy jack it up while you try to finagle it out you should get it out willy nilly.

BE SURE TO MARK THE OLD BELT AND COUNT THE TEETH!

·
Registered
14 Posts
After tightening the new water pump in place, free spin it by hand to make sure it's not interfering. My new pump interfered so I put the old one back in.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Also replace the motor mount bolts, serpentine belt, and both belt tensioners. From what I read these are "replace" items when doing the TB & WP.

MORAV

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
Serpentine belt and its tensioner are easily accessible to change at any time, no real dependency to do them at the same time as the TB...
True, but for convenience sake, it's nice to do it while you're in that area.

But yeah, it is an easy replace either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts