VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang. Newbie(ish) here. Recently bought an '03 Cabrio for my daughter. Now, I/we are working through some of the 'issues'. Of course, she's more concerned with cosmetic stuff, and I'm working on actual problems.

One thing I'm wondering about is our broken left door check (or strap). The strap is toast; only the mount, the pin, and a stub of the strap remain on the jamb. And, of course, just an opening in the door. The door opens/closes/latches fine but it has no tension and sorta just blows freely in the wind. I'm wondering if this is an major repair problem or if it can be handled by the amatuers around here. I was able to find a used part, but haven't purchased it yet as I'm not sure what the process is to install it.

Do I have to remove the door to install it? Any special tools?

Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Picture of what is left or anything that may be broken.

Some of these cars have the spot welds break that hold the "T" bracket to the actual door jam. If this happened time for fabrication and a lot of cussing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I pulled the torx 30 pin and removed this part, which clearly seems to be the problem. Is this the "T" bracket? Initially, I was very confused (and probably still am!), as this bracket, with the torx pin, was attached to the body of the car and I simply couldn't understand how it worked. Now, I (think) get it. Correct me if I'm off base here: This bracket is supposed to be welded to the door jamb, inside the oval opening??? So, it snapped off at the weld spot and came out of the opening?? Yes?? And, if I'm right, this is no easy repair.

Please, someone, give me some good news. Or....at least, confirm that I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure how the guy thinks he can get the kind of money for that set of brackets, maybe he is expecting $350 profit per bracket??

At least the pictures give you and idea of how to go about coming up with a solution.

Might be able to hit Home Depot in the hardware section and find something that may work.

Good luck, post a follow up of what you end up doing, others will need the ideas and solutions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Under a separate thread in late 2013, I saw that another member had created their own make-shift piece that would do the trick. Included was a picture of his Frankenstein, as well as an offer of pictures to those Forum members in the same boat. He offered his email address and indicated that this mod could save us thousands. Welllllllll, I sent the email, requesting pics, notes, specs, etc. anything that might help me re-create his invention. Guess what? He's now selling his creation on eBay for $435 USD. Small world, I guess. I suspect I won't be receiving any pics...

I'm working on something of my own. I'll post my progress, if any. And I promise I will not to try to get rich on it. :D

·
Beetle Cabrio Driver
54 Posts
Picked up a 2010 Beetle Cabrio in April 2015. Door check ripped the clamp attached to drivers door in May. Four visits to dealer so far for "adjustments to radio that didn't glow at night, a drivers side window that didn't seal enough to keep out rain, the pass through in the back seat popped off on second trip with the top down and the ignition lock was replaced. CPO car but dealer says they will not cover door repair as VW of America claims no knowledge of the problem - dealer also denied ever seeing this kind of damage. Started with a ping sound when door fully extended. Then at any point the door was opened. Car has 22k miles. 10 minutes online and I found a few with similar issue. VW recommends replace the entire door ($1600 dollars from certified VW body shop). Saw that mod to replace with new metal to hold the check but not ready to commit to that. Going to hit a local body shop see if welding is an option. Still a pretty fun car. pics below

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Gotta love how VW of NA claims they have never heard of this problem, bet they never heard of the top hinge breaking either?

Plausible dependability!!!!

The joker that came up with a solution that I linked has a good idea, however, his price is WAY too high. You could find a local machine shop to make these pieces up for 1/2 that price for a one off creation.

I just do not get where the guy in the UK thinks he will ever sell any of the repair kits for the price he has.

Good luck, let us know what you find out, I am sure there are more to pop up in the near future.

·
Beetle Cabrio Driver
54 Posts
Gotta love how VW of NA claims they have never heard of this problem, bet they never heard of the top hinge breaking either?

Plausible dependability!!!!

The joker that came up with a solution that I linked has a good idea, however, his price is WAY too high. You could find a local machine shop to make these pieces up for 1/2 that price for a one off creation.

I just do not get where the guy in the UK thinks he will ever sell any of the repair kits for the price he has.

Good luck, let us know what you find out, I am sure there are more to pop up in the near future.
Thanks jfoj - I've got to say I am expecting hiccups (not my first VW) but really, the door breaks 20 days in? Appreciate the feedback will post updates on repair - hopefully can schedule in next two weeks.

·
Beetle Cabrio Driver
54 Posts
Thanks jfoj - I've got to say I am expecting hiccups (not my first VW) but really, the door breaks 20 days in? Appreciate the feedback will post updates on repair - hopefully can schedule in next two weeks.
Finally got a quote. $250. Scheduled for next week. Body shop said they've worked on a lot of these. will post pics of repair.

·
VW nut
7 Posts
My mount bracket broke just like yours. I did a little research and found the one guy with the $400 ebay fix, but it looked like it was for the 2nd Gen NB - and it looked huge - AND IT WAS OUTRAGEOUSLY OVER PRICED, so I measured it all up and designed my own.

If anyone is interested, I will have someone at my work figure out what the stainless brackets and plates would cost - I am the designer for the fab shop where I had these made. To keep it as cheap as possible, you can source your own hardware too.

Pretty simple really:

2 bent brackets made of 12 GA SS (0.105")
1 face plate made of 11 GA SS (0.120")
1 back plate made of 7 GA SS (0.180")
1 - 6MM x 40 SS socket head cap screw - I shortened the bolt
1 - 6MM SS lock nut
4 - 1/4-20 x 1.5" SS SS socket head cap screws
4 - 1/4-20 SS lock nuts

It is kind of a pain to install, but definitely worth it.

Enjoy!

·
VW nut
7 Posts
The bits and pieces will be available after I prove the design for a bit. I don't want to put anything out there that might fix one problem and cause another.

·
Bugger Since 67
66 Posts
Yep, VW claims the door is not their fault, the overheating fuse box is not their fault, the rear window falling out is not their fault, the flimsy pastic rear panwls and convertible top doors are not their fault, the defective AT valve body is not their fault... But they admit to the TDI, taking away the best engine we ever had!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2007 NB Convertible door check broke

my wife door check just ripped out of the door. I would like to by one of these modification kits. Or can I get the specs on the sizes if each piece so I could get the parts fabricated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts