VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
following along..mine has the same symptoms as well...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90% chance someone has been inside the door, likely to replace the door lath, and they did not both pre-load the door latch properly and also reassemble the door handle parts correctly.
This could be a good reason. Car was repainted in a VW shop, and they didn't do a good job. And I bet they reassemble the door handle wrongly!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The door handle is not too difficult if you know what to do and what to look for, however, there are A LOT of things that can go wrong.

There is a special spring to preload the door handle pull that is rather genius but most people will miss this.

There is also a bracket that locks things into the door that often does not get installed correctly.

Also the door is difficult to get into for most people and they also break a plastic door latch support that should be readily available at the dealer but is usually special order along with a pop rivet that is the wrong one, it need to be trimmed on 2 sides because the head is too big.

Trust me, I can take these doors apart blind and put them back together properly standing on my head.

But is not easy to explain and the are actually a bit easier than the coupes as far as I am concerned due to the way the window regulators are installed.

See this link - http://newbeetle.org/forums/929706-post4.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts