VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This DIY is for Removing the Key Lock in the Door Handle.

TECHNICAL NOTES: This DIY Covers Model Years 1998 thru 2005 that have a Key Lock. All 1998's have a key lock, but it became an option in subsequent model years.

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you won’t glue your fingers together, then break something and then are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong because of it. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB ...

1) 1998 2.0 liter, 5 speed

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author if you pass on this information to friends and/or family!!

TIME NEEDED: Less than 30 Minutes.

ITEMS NEEDED: A VW New Beetle Bentley Repair Manual or the Bentley DVD or a Haynes manual.

PROJECT COST: None; unless you break something.

SPECIAL TOOLS: Screw Driver Tool T10011; if you have 4mm 12 Point Star, you really do not need this tool.

WARNINGS: Be Careful not to pull the door handle, you might damage the door handle release cable. If you do, you will have to take the Door Sub-Frame off (i.e. Window Regulator Maintenance) to repair it.

CAUTIONS: None.

RE-INSTALLATION NOTES: None.

So let’s begin...

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step One: Remove the Protective Cap [DL-01] and loosen the Door Lock Mount Bolt [DL-02 and 03]. Loosen ONLY, the bolt should not be removed.

Step Two: Pull the Key Lock Out of the door [DL-05]. The door lock is not easy to get out, pull slowly and gently, but with some effort. If you decide to use a prying instrument refer to pic [DL-03] for prying location; be very careful not to scratch you paint or bend the metal surface around the door handle. I used a flexible jewelers screw driver.

Pics [DL-09 and 10] show you the lock removed. Pics [DL-11] shows you where the key lock lever connects to the Door Lock Control Module and [DL-12] shows you the Door Lever Release Cable.

Re-installation is the reverse of removal and be sure to tighten down the Door Lock Mount Bolt and replace the protective cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo Convertible
2 Posts
N00b here, and sorry for asking what may be obvious questions... In your photo at the very top, DL_02, you have the Door Lock Mount Bolt circled; I need to replace my passenger side door bolt for it has been monkeyed with before I bought it, and the outside assembly (no key entry, just smooth part meeting the passenger door handle) wobbles in and out of the door. I was hoping to secure it, but the bolt is very stripped on the inside. I would like to replace it with a similar, possibly metric, bolt, or with an original. Can you please tell me what its equivalent would be in a replacement bolt, so I can run down to Ace Hardware and buy a handful? Or, if you have the numbers, the ID number on this bolt for an original.

On a side note, could it be this loose assembly and stripped bolt that could be keeping my '05 Beetle GLS 1.8L turbo convertible passenger window from dropping the 1/4 - 1/2" when the handle is pulled? Been trying the windows up and down part already, but haven't tried the key in the door and lowering/raising the windows that way. Trying to do as much homework as I possibly can, and thank you for all your help :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.