NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2001 New Beetle 1.8 Turbo Sport. The latch on the passenger door won't work, therefore the door won't close. I have been told by 2 mechanics that I need a new latch.

My question is: Will the latch from a 1999 Beetle work? All my research indicates the same model is used in both cars. I can get a used one from a 1999, but before the both doors get taken apart, I would like to know if the parts are the same.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Given the history of the door latches in these cars and the beating they take, for the $125 or so discounted price and the amount of effort that it takes to put one in, I am not sure I would put a used latch in even if it was give to me.

My 2003 convertible is on latch #5 & #6. I always reach my hand across the car to stop the passenger door from slamming when someone gets out of the car. When they get in, I always ask them to use 1 finger to close the door.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Given the history of the door latches in these cars and the beating they take, for the $125 or so discounted price and the amount of effort that it takes to put one in, I am not sure I would put a used latch in even if it was give to me.

My 2003 convertible is on latch #5 & #6. I always reach my hand across the car to stop the passenger door from slamming when someone gets out of the car. When they get in, I always ask them to use 1 finger to close the door.
Huummm? When you say "door latch" is that the same as micro switches??
If so, what is a good company to buy them from. I need BOTH door switches. The switch mechanism that controls the alarm,door locks and interior lights.

Thx!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Huummm? When you say "door latch" is that the same as micro switches??
If so, what is a good company to buy them from. I need BOTH door switches. The switch mechanism that controls the alarm,door locks and interior lights.

Thx!
The door latches have have 2 or 3 micro switches in them. Some people had found that they have broken solder joints and they can be resoldered, some find the switches actually damaged or intermittent and have hacked the latches and installed new switches.

There are some on ebay that either repair or sell rebuild switches, however, I have also found at least on my car there is one external micro switch that has a rubber covering that the rubber wears and gets damaged over the years and can let water into the switch.

Unless I was really strapped for cash, since I do all the repair work on my cars, I might attempt to resolder or replace the switches, but since the door latches are not fun to replace, I just bit the bullet and replaced them. I do have the last 2 I removed on the shelf in the garage in case I decide to repair the next set, at least I have parts latches and I could possibly harvest switches if I need them.

Since I have a convertible, these latches do not last as long because the door hammer the latches to death as there is no air resistance or gasket resistance when closing the doors. I can literally close the doors with my pinky when the windows are down on my car. I get the mini van crew get into the car and put their full weight into closing the door an I have to remind them to close the door lightly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts