NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after trying to get the door open and replacing the latch I discovered what caused the problem. The door latch was just rusted. I took some WD-40 and a screw driver and just kept working the latch. After about 20 minutes it started to work some what. This was the passenger side. I think it must have been closed for a long time to get this Siezed up.This hole JOB was a huge PITA!!!!!;)

I would say LUBE YOUR DOOR LATCHES!!!!!!;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yeah, I followed your saga! And congrats on finally getting it open. WD40 however, is NOT the thing to use for lubrication. VW has different lubricants for different parts, but sans the use of the specified one, white lithium grease for door hinges and latches. Liquid or powdered graphite in the lock cylinders. WD40 has absolutely no staying power and does not inhibit rust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was at my Dads....He has a HUGE WARM GARAGE.....:D The only thing I could find was about six cans of WD-40....With the swivel nozzle if you must know...lol ;)

The white grease is for sure a better choice to lube the door latches,hinges and whatever else needs some LUBE!!!!

Now atleast both doors open. The Day I bought this car if I had a clue what a HUGE PITA this was going to be to get the door OPEN.....I would have said HELL NO....KEEP IT!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
WD40 is okay in a pinch ;) ! Just didn't want anyone grabbing a can and spraying the hell out of everything. It breaks down what ever grease or lubricant is there, before dissipating.. And it is an absolute no-no for spraying in lock cylinders.

That said...
Joey Green's Wacky Uses :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Seems we are the only two on here who will openly admit to having done this! I just withdrew quickly and left a part of my tongue on the pole. Better than having a hard tongue (frozen solid) for the wrong reason. :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Funny, how today, parents would be more consumed with the fear of germs on the pole, than the act of doing it. :rolleyes:

Too bad today kids aren't allowed to be kids. If I had been forced to wear a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, chin guards, eye protection, and on and on, I'd have probably stayed in and "got stupid" watching TV and playing video games too! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm sorry, I started it with the WD40 "wacky uses"... :eek:
Blugg just couldn't leave it alone. :rolleyes:
And then the pole thing came from our thread jacking thread.
Forgive us.:grovel:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw a guy once with a Beagal with a ear infection. He sprayed WD-40 in the DOGS ear......The DOG went NUTS!!!!!!;)

Thats one thing it isn't for.....;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts