NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 GLS NBC. The passenger window sometimes goes down 1" when you open the door and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried without success to adjust it by somewhat random changes in the cable that goes to the door handle that actuates the mechanism.
Does anyone have an adjustment procedure for these door latches / microswitches so I can either get it adjusted correctly or determine there is a fault in the latch switches?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The window drive mechanism/motor may have failed. It happened to mine in 2010. The motor mechanism is susceptible to failure, and yours even more so because it has to go down to open and close the door, unfortunately the motor remembers the position.
Mine is not a convertible - but VW did change the window motor and mechanism under warranty/recall in 2010, even though the vehicle was 10 yrs old.
Sadly adjustments of the cable may not be any good.
But then I am not a mechanic and my opinion may be cheese!!!

PS a 2005 vehicle should report the issue if you do a scan on VCDS VAG-COM

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
My 2006 NBC has the same problem but on the driver's door. I will be replacing the door latch mechanism this afternoon to fix the problem. I do not know if a code scan will indicate any problems.

You can do some testing on your car to determine if this is the problem. The fact that the window drops sometimes indicates that the problem is probably not in the regulator. The regulator is dropping the window (and I assume raising it) when it gets the proper signal.

The key point is that there is a switch integrated into the latch mechanism that is mounted in the door. The motion of that switch is connected to the latch parts that grab the striker bolt that is mounted on the car body.

I figured out that my latch was bad by doing some testing with a round blade screwdriver. You can use any round punch or object that is about the same diameter as the striker bolt.

Open both doors of the car so you can compare the action on one to the other. When a door is open the latch will be in the open position and the window should be done about 1". Take the screwdriver or punch and use it to close the latch mechanism from the end of the door. There are 2 stages or steps in the closing. The window should go up when you get to the end of the second step.

Now use the outside door handle to open the latch. The window should come down. Close the latch with the screwdriver or punch and the window should go up. Then use the inside handle to open the latch. The window should come down. You can check and compare the operation between the 2 doors.

What I discovered is that the latch and window worked great when the door was open. And the window would go down when I opened the closed door with the outside handle. But the window would not go down when I tried to open the closed door from inside the car.

Just like you I was thinking it was the cable adjustment. Then I started to closely compare how each door latch and window worked when I used the screwdriver to control how quickly the latch opened. I determined that the switch in the latch on the driver's door was not being activated until the latch was in the completely open position. In fact, if I very slowly let the latch open it would go the completely open position and the window would not drop. Then if I just touched the latch plate with my finger the window would drop. On the passenger door the switch would lower the window when the latch opened to the first step.

Hope this helps diagnose the problem.

Rusty

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I finished replacing the driver's door latch last evening. It was not as difficult a job as I expected and only took me about 1 1/2 hours.

This did fix the problem. Everything works as it should.

I have not taken the old latch apart but I expect there is something broken inside. I can hear a piece moving around when I shake it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts