VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 VW beetle. Salt totally corroded the original drivers side mechanism. Replaced the latch with aftermarket assembly. Put everything together and it worked fine for 30 or so cycles. Decided that window glass wasn't quite in the right place so I decided to adjust it. Went to open door and it won't open. Tried adjusting the cable in the exterior handle, NO GO. Managed to get door trim panel off with much destruction of plastic. Can't really see being able to remove the inner panel with door closed but will try it. If I can't get the door latch to release, is there any way to get the latch out with the door closed?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Convertible or coupe?

As I recall there are 3 screws in the door jam that mount the door latch. I do not think you can get the door latch out without the door open.

You need to see if you can get the door latch to work so you can open the door would be my guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a coupe.

I've pulled and prodded the cables, moved the door lock button to numerous positions, turned the disk where the lock cylinder engages the latch........ Yelled, screamed, swore and thrown tools. Nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you but that video only pertains to doors that can or already are open.

If I can't get the door open, I can't access the screws to remove the latch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the answer is...........

Get in the back seat and muscle the trim panel off the inside of the quarter panel. It can be done without breaking too many of the trim clips. Once the plastic is off you can see the reinforcing plate that the striker screws into. Get out your 4" angle grinder and a fire extinguisher and grind away until you get through the reinforcing plate and the screws, being careful not to cut into the door post itself. Some violent shaking of the door will let the remains of the striker screws to fall out enough so you can open the door.

The plate and screws will cost about 25 bucks at the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, after you got the old actuator out, did you figure any other way to get it to release? Hints? I have the same issue with my 2004 coupe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts