VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

My driver side door lock broke the other day as I was trying to manually unlock it (the fobs died ages ago). I can still access the inside of the car by going through the trunk though, so my question is, if I try to start the car from the inside, while the doors are still locked, will the alarm go off?

If the answer is "yes, the alarm will go off", what's the best way to shut the alarm off? The only way I know how to do it now is by unlocking the driver side door, but that's obviously impossible!

It's a '99, 2.0 litre.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What year and model of New Beetle; are we talking about?

If you want to fix the door lock; you would need to remove the door panel and go from there, genuine vw lock modules are probably the best way to go but are more expensive.

Here is a DIY; showing how to take things apart and do the repairs:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...le/109049-window-regualtro-door-lock-diy.html

Once you get things repaired; you might want to get some new key fobs or troubleshoot, the ones you already have and figure out, why they are not working. You can get new key fobs from VW Parts and Malone Tuning by AARodriguez

Here are some info on programming and troubleshooting the key fobs:

VW Key FOB Programming Guide and Secrets, Troubleshooting and Repair

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think the problem is NOT with the door latch, but the link that is behind the door lock cylinder.

Not sure about VW, but BMW makes the link between the door lock cylinder to the door latch out of cheap pot metal and it is intentionally weak to reduce theft and break ins.

The key should not be used on a regular basis for any German car otherwise the door lock link can and will break.

I believe you can just remove the lock cylinder without removing the door panel, but it has been a while since I have torn a door apart on the Beetle.

Something like this repair kit is probably the best approach.

Volkswagen VW Beetle Door Lock Cylinder Barrel Repair Kit Left Right Golf Jetta | eBay

At least with the BMW's reuse the existing spring, do not use the spring from the kit as they are often bent or wound wrong.

Just unlock the doors from inside the car and open the drivers door and see what happens. If the alarm sounds, try the key in the ignition and start the car, this may likely quiet the alarm. If not, I am sure there is a fuse that can be pulled, but probably easier to just disconnect the battery. Just have the tools handy and pull the hood release. The only problem is getting the cover off the battery quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight here everyone. I agree, I think it's the lock cylinder not the latch (I have a latch problem with the passenger side door I think!).

As far as the alarm goes, I was thinking the same thing, I'll likely have to unhook the battery, but I wanted to know if anyone knew for sure whether or not this will set the alarm off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts