NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, looking for help..

My daughters 98 Beetle has a few door related issues.

The first is the driver key stopped turning. I ordered a cylinder rebuild kit from ebay, but it has no instructions. It seemed simple enough except I'm at a loss to exactly how the spring should go in. I got it all together, but it only turns left, and I can see the end of the spring is digging into the side of the cylinder, so something is amock. Anyone have rebuild instructions/diagrams for a door lock cylinder?

The second is the door latch. It started with the 'walk out in the morning to find the windows rolled down'. For a while now the key hasn't been turning off the alarm from the driver side, also a latch issue I believe. So I ripped it all apart, opened it up and redid the 6 solders on the end. Key/Alarm seems ok now, but windows still go down. As the lock cylinder is acting up I've been testing with a screwdriver to lock/unlock.

My question here is, latch bad, or could it be the CCM? And is there any way to tell? ie, if the passenger key locks/unlocks with no windows going down it's ok, if that one acts weird then its not the driver side latch, but the ccm?

Also, is this the correct part, seems kinda cheap compared to other places.
http://www.hansautoparts.com/3B1837015ASDoorLockActuator.aspxhttp://www.hansautoparts.com/3B1837015ASDoorLockActuator.aspx

Thanks, and happy new year!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Don't buy anything from that guy! There is a reason why all his stuff is so much cheaper than everywhere else...its cheap Chinese garbage.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You likely need to replace the drivers door latch, do not waste your time trying to repair these. Wholesale they are about $120 as I recall.

BMW's of the similar era had the exact same problem, the Hall Effect switch in the door latch/actuator would go bad, either water intrusion or some other problem, then you would have the mystery windows down and car unlock problem. The issue with the BMW's were the sunroof would also open up so your car would be WIDE open, especially in the rain!!!

Not sure about the door lock, however, the problem may be with the door latch itself??? The lock cylinder should move both ways without much resistance when the lock is out of the door handle as I recall?

Just put a screwdriver in the door latch when the lock cylinder is out of the handle and see how hard the latch is to move in either direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My soldering may have actually fixed the door latch alarm and window issue. Not being my car I think I misunderstood how it was supposed to work. I misread hold for 3s for windows to go down as unlock 3 times. So i think in my testing it all out yesterday I probably was holding it in for too long as I can't get it to repeat.

However, I still have the cylinder rebuild issue which is unrelated. So still looking for some help there. When I opened it up the inside "castle" piece fell out in 3 different pieces, so it was definitely bad. Without the spring I can turn both diretions, with it in I was only able to turn one, and it definitely didn't feel right when turning it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts