VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Beetle Owners,
I bought a 2006 Vw beetle convertible, after i got it, i noticed that the left driver door, does not lock with the remote, if i lock it with the keys, it will lock and you will hear the deep that tells you that it has been locked!

So i ordered a new Door Lock latch, installed it, same issue, doesn't lock with the remote, or opens with the remote, if you lock it, and try to open the driver door, it will open and the alarm will go on.
I Also remove the right glass motor, to check if it could be damaged, but same issue.
anyone got this issue before?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
First I would start with the basics:

1. Is the battery good in the remote? When you press a button; a small red light on the key fob, should blink (confirms; that battery is good enough, to send a signal). Replace with #2032 Battery CR2032 Lithium 3v; available, at most stores these days.

2. Still doesn't work? Maybe, the internal green controller board bad? Do you have any other key fobs to test with? You can buy new fobs or internal boards @ VW Parts and Malone Tuning by AARodriguez

3. Program the key fob?

4. Any trouble codes; using a vw scan tool? With VCDS; you can do some troubleshooting testing.

Here is a link; to a site, that explains, how the key fob and immobilizer system works, including some info about programming your key fob, to your car. If you buy a new key; the immobilizer (models 2006-on), I believe has to be programmed at your VW dealer or possibly your local auto locksmith. Keep in mind; programming a key fob to open the doors and programming/key matching to the immobilizer, so the car will start, are two different things.

Key and remote replacement and troubleshooting: mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

http://www.fixmyvw.com/vw-key-fob-programming-guide/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Billy, thanks for you quick reply, is it possible that if the FOB key is damaged that the LEFT side only doesnt work?
The Right side (Passenger) opens 7 closes perfectly,
it only happens with the left side, but with the Key, it opens and locks perfectly.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, as noted; start with the basics and the steps I mentioned. Are you saying; that the remote opens the passenger side but not the drivers side? Typically, the passenger side; will open, when the remote is depressed (twice). Is the red light; blinking, when the remote button are depressed? I believe, if you use the key to open the door; the passenger side will be unlocked as well?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morning,
I replaced the battery on the remote today, and same issue.
I checked the spare FOB, and same issue, also scan the car with vag com, no codes.
Both red light blinks on the remotes, the right door locks and opens without any issue.
IF i lock the car with the keys at the driver side, it locks and beeps... after if i press the lock button on the FOB it beeps also.
Its like not getting signal to the door actuator, so the actuator lock or opens the door.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, if I am understanding you correctly:

1. the mechanical door lock tumbler; when using your key:

A. LOCKS all the doors (good)
B. UNLOCKS all the doors (good)
C, ARMS the alarm system (good).

2. Remote/key fob:

A. communicates with the car; car "beeps" when depressing the lock button on the fob, after being locked/armed by the key (good)
B. DOES open the passenger side door; when depressing the unlock button (good)
C. does NOT unlock the driver's side door; when depressing unlock button (bad)
D. does NOT lock the driver's side door; when depressing lock button (bad)

My guess; for the reason, the alarm is going off is this: the car is alarm is armed but the driver's door is not locked, so when you open the unlocked driver's door the alarm goes off. Normally, when you arm the alarm; all of the door locks are locked and you cannot open the door.

If all of the above is correct and you installed a new driver's side door lock module, then I would look to the wiring harness inside the driver's side door. The harnesses; are known to fail, especially where the harness goes from the body to the door, encased in a ribbed rubber sheath. Typically, the individual wires break; as they are being flexed, every time the door is opened/closed. MANY members here; have had all kinds of goofy and inop issues, related to a bad wiring harness or door lock module. You have eliminated the door lock module; so, I would check out the wiring harness for damage and repair or replace it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Want to Thanks Member Billymade, i removed the rubber, and Found 3 wires broken, i never thought that this could happen, so i fixed it and the door opens and closes good now.
Many thanks Billy.

Regards,

Ryan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Strange that your other remote didn't operate the door. What's the chance that both remotes have the same wires broken???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts