VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but couldn't find anything. I just got this 2000 beetle and it didn't have a manual with it, so until I can do a junkyard search for one I will have to bug you guys lol.

When I stop and turn the car off, the drivers door unlocks but the passenger door stays locked. I would like both doors to unlock so when I park in the garage and go out later, or just to unload the car, I have to dig for the keys or go back to the drivers door and hit the switch to unlock the passenger door. A PITA that I would like to change.

Is there anyone with a manual that can walk me through programming the doors differently if there is such an option. I know on my Durango I can change configuration, hoping it is also an option on the bug.

Just want it to unlock both doors when key is removed from ignition.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I think someone has already messed with the settings. None of our VWs have ever done that...All doors stay locked after removing the key. I would imagine that Vag Com would be the way to change that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Yes you can change the behavior of the car like automatic door unlocking, automatic door locking, horn and/or light flashing when locking using the remote and how many seconds the interior lights stay on after closing the door. You need a $99 software package called VCDS-Lite and a USB-OBDII cable, or a VW dealer may be able to do it for you. My '99 did not automatically unlock the doors but I changed the programming so now it does. I also got rid of the annoying horn beep when locking with the remote.

It sounds like your car may already have the auto-unlock enabled. I don't believe you can choose which doors unlock; either both should together or neither should, so you may have a problem with the locks somehow.

Here is info on VCDS:

Ross-Tech Store: VCDS

And here is how to program the doors:

VW Golf (1J) Central Locking (Generation 2) - Ross-Tech Wiki

Correction to above: I think you may need to change the coding from "selective unlocking" to "unlocking of all doors" to make the car auto-unlock the passenger door. See the second link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad lol. Just noticed drivers door doesn't unlock with key removal, just opening the door unlocks it....duh.

So I guess I will get use to hitting unlock switch on door to unlock all lol.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You can program it to unlock automatically with VCDS, and it is very handy to have if you work on your own car or want to be able to diagnose problems on your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts