NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to replace the passenger side lock switch.Does the trim snap off or do I have to remove the complete door panel? Tried to pop the little trim off, but only the front comes loose.It feels like the handle keeps it from coming off.Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I have been trying to figure out the same thing for the same reason. Finally got a door lock switch for Iggy's passenger door; but it doesn't seem that I will be able to do it without taking off the whole panel. I have a spare door panel here and tried prying the handle out of it to see what would happen. There are four pretty solid plastic prongs that snap around the back of the handle assembly starting right about the same place that I can't get the assembly to pry out any further (probably the same place where yours stops coming out too). When I asked this question of the org peeps, everybody's answer was that the whole panel had to come off :(. I have decided to save my new button until I decide to take off the panel for repairs/painting.

Darn those crazy Germans and their difficult ideas :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
The main door panel has 3 torx screws at the bottom of the panel , and 2 bolts behind the door handle.

After they are undone , wind the window down , pull the bottom of the panel towards (you will hear various pops and the plastic push clips come undone) then you wiggle in an upwards direction(its clipped in at the top.

Fitting the door lock is officially a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What the poster above mentioned, however, you then need to get the top of the door panel to release from the rubber channel. This can be tricky and many times the rubber wants to pull off the door. The rubber channel stays on the door!

Then you need to disconnect all the wiring and the door handle cable.

If you have a convertible, then you are going to have it a bit easier, if you do not have a convertible, I think?? you actually need to remove the window??

Anyway the trick for removing the door latch is you have to remove the door lock blank on the passenger outside of the door and release the door latch cable. Then you remove the triple square bolts holding the latch assembly to the door, this requires special tools - Amazon.com: Capri Tools XZN Triple Square Spline Wrench Bit Socket Sets, S2 Bit, 10-Piece: Home Improvement

You actually remove the door latch bolts and the door latch comes out with the inner door panel. You will not have much luck trying to remove the door panel without the latch. It is a bit tricky to slide the inner door panel out with the latch attached but it is possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts