VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VW Beetle hatchback 2.0ltr
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I had a few issues with central locking on UK spec 2003 NB 2.0ltr.
New lock module sorted passenger door problems. Used VCDS to enable options like flash on lock unlock, bleep. They were all disabled in coding.
All now working fine. Interior lights, puddle lights, remote locking, etc.
Just one fault remains but does not show up in VCDS. Drivers side internal switch does nothing. Switch Lamp works.
Passenger side switch locks and unlocks both doors ok.
I've checked out door wiring and done end to end plug to plug continuity tests, all seem OK.
Electric windows work fine. Just that one button does nothing.
Any ideas folks before I have to spend big £££ on door motor module or new switch.
I did wonder if its an option to enable or disable the internal switch in VCDS. but passenger side switch works fine. Seems odd its not showing up as a fault in 46 convenience controller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,156 Posts

Did you try pulling the switch and do basic testing with a multimeter?

Seeing, how you have VCDS; you might try output testing and see, if all window functions, seem to be able to be commanded by the program.
 

·
Registered
2003 VW Beetle hatchback 2.0ltr
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,
I thought I'd let you know that my central locking is now fixed.
Passenger door locking module replaced. Drivers door anti hijack button would not work. So, I unplugged everthing from inside the door and the footwell plugs and used a meter for end to end continuity testing including the 29 pin plug on the door motor module, which has some say over the individual door locking.
The wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, and Elsawin just didn't make sense. Only 4 wires in the door switch and the colours and terminal numbers didn't show up in the diagrams. The car is UK spec so could well be different.
So, end to end testing, complete, and the infamous rubber boot pulled out and wires inside all looked sound, albeit they have been repaired properly, in the past.
Testing the switch made no sence at all apart from the lamp circuit just 12V+ and brown to ground. Even those 2 terminals were not the same as the diagrams. Whatever combination I tested in the switch itself again made no sence with the plug wiring.

I searched high and low for information on this and found very little and nothing at all representing what I had until.......
I stumbled on a page where modifications were being done to ad anti hijacking switches to T4 and T5, vans.. It explained the purpose of the yellow "trigger wire" which I had, and the resistor within the switch. So, following their lead, I made up a short jumper wire, pushed one end into the brown ground pin in the back of the plug, and touched the other end onto the yellow wire. CLUNK! all the locks operated into unlock mode. ..yeehaar.
I read that if you tried this on another wire to test if it would lock, it would need a 780 to 1000 ohm resistor in circuit or it couldn't work. Hence the resistor within the switch.
I was happy I'd made some progress at least. So tested the switch every way I could but could not get that yellow wire terminal to complete a circuit with any other wire in the corresponding plug.
I called our local VW parts dept and asked them to confirm part numbers for the door harness, window motor/module, and switch.
That led me to suspect an incorrect switch had been fitted in the past. Just one of the last 3 digits in the part number didn't match. Bought a new switch, job done.

The lesson here is the part numbers must match the original exactly including the last 3 digits. Just the letter A made all the difference.
It's been said before that in older cars, previous owners might have had a problem and tried to fix it with parts from a breakers, or elsewhere. They may well fit and look exactly the same, then not work which leads us in vane, along paths to try and find a fault elsewhere causing hours of frustration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,156 Posts
Bingo! :) This happens allot on here, incompatible used parts; can cause all kinds of odd electrical problems. Great detective and troubleshooting work; glad you got it fixed! Cheers and thanks for reporting back, the resolution to the problem and the fix! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top