VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, So I bought a bug that the car lot butchered the door panel trying to repair the window, breaking the handle clean off ! I was able to get a cheap green door panel but my car is black and I'm not in the mood to repaint in the middle of winter. I felt the time is right to share this in case you have a door panel that is cracked, or want to make a good one from two like I do, here we go

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You first have to remove this hank of foam, I tried using a putty knife but its glued in there too well. I ended up destroying the green one's foam unfortunately. The black panels foam however was savable when I got my fat fingers under the left side and worked it loose. This has to be removed to get to the plastic weld underneath

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using a dremel with a metal cutting wheel which came in a kit from MSC Industrial Supply but you might find something similar. I am cutting loose ONLY the weld and leaving the tab as intact as possible. DO NOT chisel this away. You cant see it very well but the tab is still intact in the slotted hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Realize that the round plastic welds are deceptive. the gray panel beneath them is oblong. DO NOT drill these out, rather dremel them only enough to release the panel from the oblong slot, leaving material for reuse. I had to switch to a long barrel cutter to reach the further corner weld and feel this cutter is best at doing the round welds anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the same to the damaged door panel to extract the black top. Here I begin the reattachment after checking that everything is clearanced and parts fit together. ( clean up your mountings and make sure it all fits together before applying the glue )

* make sure you have adequate clamps beforehand !

I use Loctite and get it from Lowes, I have great success with this stuff.

I start with a bit of epoxy from the backside of the panel

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is where you attach the two. Flip it over onto a towel so you can get to the backside. Now, VERY IMPORTANT. Pump epoxy into the spaces around the tabs until you get a mushroom head and clamp things up

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's it, give it about two hours and you can take the clamps off, wait a day to install.

I used epoxy to re glue the foam back to the top but contact cement ( also at Lowes ) for the fabric along the sides

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, thanks for the how to swap the upper door panel. Thought this would be better than re painting. I used the same tools and worked great. Can now close the door from the inside, as door closing handle had snapped off and rest of door panel heavily fractured. Great to see it like new again.👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts