VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't spent much time working on my wife's Beetle recently. After the new valve body, taking the interior out to fix the automatic shifting magnet, removing the slimey rubber interior nonsense and repainting the dash (which is holding up marvelously years later <3 Krylon Fusion)

Like usual, the number of things to repair grows as my motivation for working on such a wonky car wanes. The car has all of 40k miles on it in 10 years. It hasn't been driven hard. A lot of the issues are manufacturer defects or have to do with the 90+ degrees that Florida stays at a majority of the year. Some of them are just from age I suppose.

I've got 4 repairs lined up this month that I will probably get finished. This thread is going to be about the door panels. I will start threads for at least the top. It will probably be this weekend before I do the first door panel.

1) Interior door panel vinyl. All 4 vinyl armrest areas are giving up the ghost. Damn nasty gluey foam garbage.

2) Convertible top. I previously glued this using the correct Glue and all from 3m. Primer and everything. I used large suction cups to build a contraption to hold them together while they dried. Honestly, the bottom part of the window is still holding a couple years later. The top part is holding partially. I had an Epiphany about this though! If I use some decent black glue and then had a sort of clip to pop over the window. The fabric folds where it glues into the glass, so it would be a matter of finding a strong clip that goes over the fabric fold and the glass from the inside. I'm going to take auto body clips, grind the ridges off of them so they are flat and then put them on right after gluing it. $5 worth of body clips would be enough to do the entire window. The trick is to make them so they don't have ridges and sharp points that hurt the convertible top.

3) CV shafts. I don't think any thread is needed for this. It appears to be pretty straight forward. I'll probably just use aftermarket ones.

4) Repaint the rims. A couple of the rims have some flaking on them and there isn't a VW emblem on any of them anymore. I got new emblems for the rims. I'm going to sand them down and repaint them something close to the same color and then clear coat them. Maybe I'll actually use my spray set up.:) I will probably do it with the tire one the rim. It is less work to tape it off than it is to remove a tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Door Panel Cards

It seems like a lot of unnecessary work to remove the arm rest cards to recover them in material that probably isn't going to stick without putting stitching in them. So, I am going to go with rubberized undercoating or Krylon fusion. If it feels like it isn't going to hold up where my elbow sits in the car then I will make a thing pad to attach to the area. However, I think the rubberized undercoating will hold up and not feel too bad. At $3 a can, I'll do a test run on one of them and see if it is ok. It would certainly be easy to touch up and I should be able to do it without removing the card from the door panel. Not that I care about doing that, it just seems unnecessary.
 

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
Joined
·
3,419 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top