NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to paint there door panels - thinking about using plastic kote paint have herd really good things about it, some one had some on eBay about a month ago.

Looking to get some feedback on here. Good / or bad any ideas thanks Kevin

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
I was just in the same situation; i went to a junk yard and found some cheap broken door panels but was able to cannibalize parts from both, to make one good one. I also, replaced the door pull with a metal repair kit and it turned out well (mine broke off the top but was still attached at the bottom). These are sold under a number of different brand names; mine was sold under the Motor King brand.

Unfortunately, the top cap, was the wrong color for my car; so, painted the dark gray to my stock reflex silver. I used the Duplicolor reflex silver paint for the 1st coat and clear to protect it. It turned out pretty good; however, you probably would have more professional results; by having a auto body supply paint store, inject pro auto paint, which is the right color match, in a aerosol spray can, then finish off with a protective clear coat. Initially, I thought I would save money using Duplicolor; check out Pep Boys, they have a 25% off coupon on their website, typically going on, most of the time and this made the paint cheaper, along with needed prep materials (sand paper, prep wipes, tack cloth, etc).

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Duplicolor perfect match paint system:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was just in the same situation; i went to a junk yard and found some cheap broken door panels but was able to cannibalize parts from both, to make one good one. I also, replaced the door pull with a metal repair kit and it turned out well (mine broke off the top but was still attached at the bottom). These are sold under a number of different brand names; mine was sold under the Motor King brand.

Unfortunately, the top cap, was the wrong color for my car; so, painted the dark gray to my stock reflex silver. I used the Duplicolor reflex silver paint for the 1st coat and clear to protect it. It turned out pretty good; however, you probably would have more professional results; by having a auto body supply paint store, inject pro auto paint, which is the right color match, in a aerosol spray can, then finish off with a protective clear coat. Initially, I thought I would save money using Duplicolor; check out Pep Boys, they have a 25% off coupon on their website, typically going on, most of the time and this made the paint cheaper, along with needed prep materials (sand paper, prep wipes, tack cloth, etc).
This looks really good. Was it the top cap that you painted? Once I determine if my car is worth hanging on to, I want to paint the top caps on the junk yard panel replacements I found and cleaned up. They also had the broken handles, so I got the brace that Dieselgeek sells, and was able to salvage them with a little plastic welding (hahaha, my soldering iron) and JB Weld. I have never tried to paint plastic in a car. What prep did you do? Did you prime?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My driver's panel has too many pieces broken off, the secret is to save all the bit so it can be glued back together. ABS for door panels? Not good Volkswagen. And my car is a convertible, so the panels are even harder to find. I need to hit the yards and see if I can find a glove box door. These things need to be handled very gently!!!!

I wanted to keep the original look, so I bought some beige panels. The upper body matched panels are removable, they are joined to the lower panel by plastic, when they arrive, I'll be switching them.

Thanks to Jim at the local VW dealer parts department. He looked up a replacement panel, it was over $900! I'm embarrassed to reveal what I paid for a pair of panels on Ebay. But he also told me how to change the panel top. Nice guy, not busy. And was willing to talk over the phone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My driver's panel has too many pieces broken off, the secret is to save all the bit so it can be glued back together. ABS for door panels? Not good Volkswagen. And my car is a convertible, so the panels are even harder to find. I need to hit the yards and see if I can find a glove box door. These things need to be handled very gently!!!!

I wanted to keep the original look, so I bought some beige panels. The upper body matched panels are removable, they are joined to the lower panel by plastic, when they arrive, I'll be switching them.

Thanks to Jim at the local VW dealer parts department. He looked up a replacement panel, it was over $900! I'm embarrassed to reveal what I paid for a pair of panels on Ebay. But he also told me how to change the panel top. Nice guy, not busy. And was willing to talk over the phone.
Ouch! I searched EBay for a month or so, but they were all in the 400.00 range and weren’t a color match either. So I ended up at the salvage yard, and paid 80.00 for both sides. Now, I just need to paint the top caps but am not sure how to prep ABS plastic. The plastic welds on my top caps don’t look like they’d pop off without breaking! But, I’m still trying to determine an issue the car is having, so silver tops will have to work for now. Its not too bad, the exterior is red and interior is light gray.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ouch! I searched EBay for a month or so, but they were all in the 400.00 range and weren’t a color match either. So I ended up at the salvage yard, and paid 80.00 for both sides. Now, I just need to paint the top caps but am not sure how to prep ABS plastic. The plastic welds on my top caps don’t look like they’d pop off without breaking! But, I’m still trying to determine an issue the car is having, so silver tops will have to work for now. Its not too bad, the exterior is red and interior is light gray.
They won't pop off, the nubs are plastic welded (melted with a soldering iron) So with a dremel, you need to grind the tops off the nubs. Experiment on your old tops pieces. Then you want to either resolder with a soldering iron, plastic weld with a plastic welder from Harbor Freight, not expensive, or try gluing the nubs with superglue and baking soda.

I'm going to start shopping the salvage yards this week. My glove box door is held shut with velcro. Funny, the japanese abs doesn't seem quite so problematic as the VW stuff. Wonder if it's all made in Mexico?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here’s my referbished ‘door cards’ front and back (not so pretty behind the curtain lol) I also reformed the cardboard part w/fiberglass and changed handles to SUP (paddle board) carry handles.

more details in my ‘meeting Bugsta’ thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
PS) I choose to cover the bolster (arm rest top part) with a PVA-ish fabric that was dotted like parts of dash and steering wheel, because I felt it would hold up better that me spray painting it. I did use paint for majority of panels, but choose a textured sparkly black...to hid imperfections and it gave me the ability to lay coats to absorb dings or light scratches. So far so good, been about a year. I did change my color to black on black as well, because I changed my seats to all black leather instead of dirty grey cloth, too! (Sale at junkyard!! All for $65!!!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I paid $500 for mine, and they came today. The seller messed up with description, he said they were beige plastic with white top pieces. They came, I opened them and imagine my surprise that they are a perfect color match, even the upper pieces. No dickin with them! I know, too much money, but my car is in such nice shape that I'm feeling it's worth it.

I bought the metal reinforcements from DieselGeek, they'll be here soon. And I now understand what all the warnings were about the ABS plastic in the New Beetle. Treat them like they're made from pasta!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Getting to be more of an expert on these things that I expected. Turns out that the panels I got are for a coupe, not a convertible. They'll fit, but the holes for the switches are different and the shape is a little different too, rounded edges rather than more angular. The hole for my window master switch is smaller, so I only need to cut it larger to fit. The switch for the trunk and gas door is completely different, my switch has a locking mechanism. Makes sense on a car that might be open to the world when I park it.

I'm just gonna install and leave the gas door switch hanging, I can get another proper sized one on ebay or at the local wrecking yard. Nothing is easy. Wish I could just find a block off plate for the switch (and cut a hole for the switch elsewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drivers that care will go out of their way to avoid damaging the exterior of their car doors, like parking in the far reaches of the parking lot regardless of the weather to avoid shopping carts and door dings

·
Registered
50 Posts
Drivers that care will go out of their way to avoid damaging the exterior of their car doors, like parking in the far reaches of the parking lot regardless of the weather to avoid shopping carts and door dings
I was actually referring to the interior panels. I've got it all resolved, it wasn't cheap. And I did all the reinforcing I could. Cheezy! I have a bunch of extra parts, including a complete set of convertible door switches and two right hand door panels (tho only one for a convertible.) May try to sell them to recoup some of the money I spent. In retrospect, I should have just laid out the cash for an OEM panel from the Bug Mothership. At north of $1 grand, it would have been cheaper.

Gonna have to remind my passengers to treat the plastic interior bits like they're made from egg shells. It is a lovely car, tho.

Probably better to park in the far reaches, just to get the extra exercise, tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts