NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 vw convertible and just purchased new door panels made from fiberglass instead of the plastic. they came with a gel coat on them but i want to change the color. what is the best way to prep and paint over the gel coat? will the Dupli-color vinyl and fabric paint adhere to the gel-coat?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the panels from Willy's custom auto. You can look up their web site online and see what they have and pricing

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
You might contact the vendor, that you bought them from and ask them for advice. Otherwise, traditional painting methods for fiberglass, would be used; you could contact your local auto body paint supplier and they should be able to advise you, what supplies, application/spray techniques/methods would work or a local body shop, could do them for you. You would have to weigh the cost of materials, spray gun, labor involved, etc vs. the cost of a body shop; just doing it for you and be done with it. Professional paint supplies are now pretty expensive; more research, is needed.

If it is too expensive to make cost effective sense or fit your budget; you might just use them as is and not worry about perfectly matching, how it was stock.

For Duplicolor, you might email them or call them; for correct paints and advise on prep/application of paint materials:

Contact Dupli-Color
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US
Call Toll Free 800-247-3270

https://duplicolor.com/contact

Let us know, what you decide to do and it would be great, if you could post up some photos of your new door panels. This could really help others; who need new ones and help them decide, if Willy's custom auto, is a product, they should go with. Thanks! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts