NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how different the window switch plugs are between a 98-08 beetle and a 09-10 beetle? As far as I understand the door cards are the same from 98-10 but they switched window control switches in 09-10. VW Parts online gives me the part numbers but I can find a picture showing what the back of the plug is. I thought if the plug is different, at least if they feed it with the same number of wires I could possibly wire the new style plug on to be able to run a 2010 door panel in my 98?
Anyone ever looked at this?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Good question; I haven't heard of anyone, trying to retrofit the switches, from such a early to late panel. Is there any reason; why you cannot just transfer, your old switches over to the later 2010 panel? Are the switch mounts and switch locations; essentially the same? The 1998 models; seem, to sometimes, have unique things to them; that were later revised but 12 years, is a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some differences.

I recently rebuilt my door panels; transferred the switches and pretty much each of the switch holders broke, the small retaning tabs on them. You can find new ones; on ebay, at a good prices. This ebay store (germanautosupply); has them at a good price and they are genuine vw, not a cheap Chinese knockoff part:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 98 has all the same style switches as my late 99 did, so it appears to me they did that the same throughout the early ones. The new style door panel takes a different switch and bezel, which also faces horizontally rather than vertically, which leads me to believe the old style window switch will not fit in that slot. My current panels are trashed beyond repair so I need to purchase something new one way or the other, and these 2010 panels are very nice, the color i'm looking for, and not terribly priced in comparison to alot of these. I do know now that both of them are operating on 4 wires at the window switch so in my head it seems like I should be able to wire the new style connector onto my door harness but I know i'm probably over simplifying things a little.

Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts