NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: :confused: Does anyone out there have trouble with an annoying rattle coming from the door (right about by the door lock button, deep inside)?

It rattles over all little bumps whether the window is up or down.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Could be a loose screw (behind the wheel) haha; kidding. Sorry.

Could be a loose screw behind the door panel. It's pretty easy to come off; The beetle uses alot of torx screws on the interior; so you'll need some torx bits/drivers, whatever. (it's like a 6 pointed star) There's 3 screws on the bottom of the panel; and 2 hidden behind the 'door pull' the one that usually peels. You'll need to pry the cover off to get to those 2 screws. Then pull the bottom rear edge out and work your way around pulling the clips straight away from the door. When you get to the top edge, that comes out differently; Stick a forearm under there and lift straight up. Be careful w/all the wires, they connectors are pretty easy; you'll just need to hold the panel till you have all the connectors undone. There's only like 8 or so.

Good luck; if it's on the other side of the black panel... I wouldn't really recommend digging too deep. But if it's a 2006 NBC... you should still be in your 12 mo bumper to bumper warranty. (wish I'd seen that first)... just take it to the dealership and make them do it free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rattle Problems

I have a brand new 06 convertible. I have taken it back twice to the dealer to stop the doors from rattling (exact same spots as yours) as well as major squeaking where the windows touch the convertible top. They supposedly fixed it, and I now have the same noises plus a tea kettle whistle noise on the driver front window.

I am so disappointed. I spent a lot for this car, and it is so noisy I can hardly stand it. I was hoping mine was the only incident and could be fixed. Now I'm not so sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if you ever found a solution for this..... I just bought a new very.... found when I wedged something between teh door and the adjacent body.. it stopped... tomorrow I'll pick up some weather stripping...

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Our '06 NBC has it on both sides, same approximate location as yours, it sounds like a (bear with me) small hinged plastic cup lid clapping rapidly around inside the shoulder-belt slot area with any little bump in the road. I took the car in for a series of small little adjustments last week and that was one of my complaints: the car was returned with the noise still there and the notation "normal" on the work order. I accepted the car with the understanding that it was NOT a "normal" noise, that I was taking it back, but I have not had the time and may not for a week or more. I'll keep you posted... :mad:

·
Wil-Der-Nest Shores
134 Posts
I heard this same rattle when I tried out the demo NBC at my dealer. When I asked what caused it, they were unaware of anyone complaining. Well, I didnt like the color anyway so I ordered what I now own, which luckily, hasnt got the same rattles :) I do get some wind noise where the rear window engages the drivers front window. There is an air gap you can see through and Ive made an appt. with the dealer to adjust this. Other than my running boards seeping undercoating ooze their entire length, I'm a happy camper!!!!

·
My steed is Killer
75 Posts
killer has got some squeaks and rattles that are intermittent. When I first noticed them I was annoyed, but what is even more annoying is taking a day to sit at the dealer and have them tell me they couldn't find anything. a little silicon spray helps the squeaks I get near the tops of the front windows. The rattles are more of a buzzing I get when the bass is particularly deep on select CD's :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
My driver side door will rattle from time to time, and I just spray some WD-40 in the door latch to stop it. Not sure if this is the same type of rattle you're experiencing or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

·
dunno513
1,236 Posts
krmitbug said:
Not sure if you ever found a solution for this..... I just bought a new very.... found when I wedged something between teh door and the adjacent body.. it stopped... tomorrow I'll pick up some weather stripping...
I don't think the Verts are the only ones with this problem. I have a TDI, so when cold I get the ease of determining all sorts of rattles:p

I have been living with a small rattle, plastic on plastic sound, for awhile, but it only happens for short periods of time.

Just now I found that it disappears as I push on the door panel just right. But... when I open the door it amazingly disappears. I'm also going to try some foam to dampen the vibration between the two and see if it stops.

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Update (long, but perhaps worthwhile)

Bringing this back to life... I know, I know, I said I was taking it back to the dealer back in August/September, but I'm just now getting to it. I've been busy and the weather's been funky, so there. :rolleyes:

Took it in last week early in the day, and told them to keep it until the rattle behind the door(s) was fixed. So after a couple days (where they also installed the recalled brake switch) they called me and told me the rattle was fixed! They replaced both "defective" door striker plates, and assured me the noise was gone. Joy! My beloved drove me to the dealership about 8pm (my dealership has service 'til midnight), I got in the car, top up, and drove out directly onto the freeway without going over any bumps in the process. As soon as I slowed down to exit and took the ramp to my home, though, and hit the most inconsequential little road irregularity... rattle, rattle, rattle. I invoked some Deities, flipped a u-ey, and went back to the dealership, My Beloved giving chase. :mad:

This time, I was very fortunate to have a truly concerned service advisor, who noticed (a) I was unusually ticked off (not at him, I'm always a gentlemen, but I guess the steam coming from my ears tipped him off. That, and my crossed eyes), and (2) I had brought the car back after only twenty minutes of driving it. I suggested a tech drive with me so there would be no misunderstandings about the noise issue, and he agreed. The young man who went with me drove the car and immediately heard the rattle noise. He said he would personally take care of it, so I left the car with him, and had My Beloved drive me home. Again. :mad:

At 11:30pm my cell rang (scaring the p out of both of us, as due to the time, we expected dire news along the lines of a family death or some other disaster). It was the service tech, thinking the cell number I left was my work number. He was shocked I answered so late instead of getting voice mail... but I was happy he called. :eek:

Here's the story: He removed both panels over the seatbelts, and discovered that the trim panels were being struck by the seat belt recoiling mechanism and the belts themselves. His solution: He insulated both side trim panels (don't know what exactly he did, this is from the service ticket description) and cured the problem. I remember him telling me on the cell (although he did not write this down) that he used some adhesive and material to cushion the area struck by the belts. Bottom line: Noiseless cruising! Finally! :D

Hope this helps those of you who are having problems getting this issue resolved. Feel free to have your dealer call Boardwalk VW (214-453-5020) and refer to Invoice VWCS217275, dated 03/21/07 for more information. Exact wording: "CUST REPORT DRIVING & HITTING BUMPS RATTLE LIKE MARBLE IN CUP HEARD BEHIND BOTH FRT DOORS IN SEAT BELT AREA TECH INSULATED BOTH SIDE TRIM PANELS. HITTING SEAT BELT MECH CAUSUNG [sic] SEVERE RATTLE" :D

Good luck to all... Loooooove my dealership again... :D

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The1 said:
:confused: :confused: Does anyone out there have trouble with an annoying rattle coming from the door (right about by the door lock button, deep inside)?

It rattles over all little bumps whether the window is up or down.:confused: :confused:
This was happening in my '03. The dealer fixed it but now the window clunks loudly when I open it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts