NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my driver side door speaker stopped working. I took the door panel off to investigate. The connections seemed solid. I stripped a bit of the door wire down to get some fresh wire and connect it to the speaker, nothing.

I took off the other door panel to cross check and the driver side speaker works fine on that door and the pass. side speaker doesn't work at all on the driver side door.

This leads me to believe the issue has something to do with the speaker wiring in the drover side door and that both speakers are fine.

Only problem is I have no idea were to start in trying to fix whatever problem this is. *I don't have much experience with electric stuff : /

Halp!?

Also, the driver side door has been making a slight creak or groan when I close it sometimes. *Maybe a worn hinge is the culprit? Idk..
Also I took my tint off with a steamer a few weeks ago. There was water going down the inside of the window, but I don't see how that would have messed anything up with the speaker wiring but maybe.

And all other electric functions of the door work fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
good question,

you should be able to follow the speaker wire thru the boot down to a harness in the kick panel, perhaps get your test light out and see if there is any signal there, then do the same thing at the outputs of the radio.

if you get signal just cut it, and run new wire from that point. its not to hard to get new speaker wire thru the door boot. esp if you buy the hard coated less flexible stuff.

if you dont get any signal, you gotta replace the radio.

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good question,

you should be able to follow the speaker wire thru the boot down to a harness in the kick panel, perhaps get your test light out and see if there is any signal there, then do the same thing at the outputs of the radio.

if you get signal just cut it, and run new wire from that point. its not to hard to get new speaker wire thru the door boot. esp if you buy the hard coated less flexible stuff.

if you dont get any signal, you gotta replace the radio.
I'm very inexperienced with electric, what do you mean by test light?
And to check the radio outputs, how do I locate those?

Could I need to replace the radio if only one speaker doesn't work??

·
Registered
208 Posts
ok. if your have such little experience with electronics i highly recommend you take to a professional. they should be able to diagnose the issue, or at least narrow it down to wiring in vehicle or bad channel on the amp. both are rare issues to just happen, but easy to test for when you have the ability to pull the radio out and know what speaker wires to check. i know for me it would take between a half hour and hour to check those things. where as to explain to you what to do and have you do it succesfully would take much longer. if you really want ill try to help you talk thru it, but if you dont have the right tools its just probably better to leave to someone with experience, i hope you understand what i mean.

perhaps that water pooled in a connection in the door and just need dried out. i would trace the wire as far as you can to verify its integrity. and to make sure no harness caught water from the tint pulling. or maybe the wire broke in the door boot. i would do that first if i were you. do your best to trace those speakers wires as far as possible in the car.

let me know if i can be of anymore help.

but you already did a great first check, if the speakers both work on the left but not the right then it cant be the speaker. just make sure you didnt do anything accidental like balance the speakers left.

good luck\

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally hear you. I'll see if i can trace the wire and find any thing wrong, hopefully that can fix things. If it doesn't I'll probably just ride with no driver side speaker for a while :p

Thanks for such thorough help, I really appreciate it!

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got down to the Driver side speaker wiring harness, unglued it and using my new stereo wire tested the speaker by putting the wires to the pins in the female part of the harness and I got sound!!

So I guess I just need to figure out how to get the old wires out of the harness, put their connect clips on the new wire, then run that wire into the door and down to the speaker.

Any advice on how to do any of those things? Lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
good work.

id find it hard to believe that the harness in the kick when bad randomly.

so...id first check the wires on the other side of that harness...i assume you checked the radio side of the harness...now check the speaker side...unless you already did.

try to find a broken or pinched wire. my guess would be door boot. or maybe some corrosion occured in the harness connected to the speaker itself. and the contacts need cleaned. u can cut the wire anywhere. just splice it back together. use a butt connector or china cap or tape and solder preferably. you can also just splice back some insulation without cutting the wires to test as you go.

hope that helps. first thing id check is the harness plugging directly back into the speaker. after that id just follow the wires to the door boot. youll have to remove the rubber grommet covers to follow the wires...this will take some time and patience. the rubber boot is easily removed...or at least loostened on both ends. getting it locked back in takes some effort..or luck.

good luck

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait but if the speaker worked just connecting new wire to the harness port pins why do I need to check anything else? Doesn't that just mean the factory wire is messed up /at some point and I need to run new wire and I'd be done with it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
exactly. but if its just right at the connector to the speaker its easier just to cut it off...or clean it up and do it there. running speaker wire into the door aint fun.

·
Registered
208 Posts
cut and splice the wire about 2 inches out of the harness.or just skip of the harness and splice into the wires on the far side of the harness. just dont cut it off right next to the plastic. give yourself two inches

1 - 14 of 14 Posts